TP link deco m4 creating loops

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-18 07:40:45
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.6

Hi,

I've been using the deco ac1200 since a long time. Since using them, the wifi would completely stop working at some point.

after rebooting the main router and the decos everything would work again.

But as of recently the deco's have been connected to a switch with spanning tree.

it now seems that whenever the wifi drops, the spanning tree kicks in and the wifi works again. But the decos are now connected via the wireless backhaul rather than wired.

Is there any way to disable the wireless backhaul all together? any other solutions ?

Using spanning tree to fix the decos is not the preferred solution.

Options
6 Reply
Re:TP link deco m4 creating loops
2023-05-19 06:07:27

@xkoeckiiej Hi, welcome to the community.

So far, it is not allowed to turn off wireless Backhaul on the Deco. Wireless Backhaul would become inactive as long as Ethernet Backhaul has built up successfully.

May I know the model number of your management switch?

Are you allowed to turn off the Loop detection on the ports that are connected to the main Deco and satellite Deco?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-05-21 09:38:52

@David-TP 

Hi David,

thanks !

This happens when I use the Plasma Cloud PS8-L. (Spanning tree)

Whole network goes down, including the wired devices, when I use a tp-link sg105.

I can disable spanning tree, but to my analysis this would break my network again.

I have also added pictures for what happens when spanning tree disables a port.

mind that all 3 decos are plugged in 1 switch and nothing else.

Options
2023-05-21 09:39:39

this is how it should function

Options
2023-05-23 07:10:41 - last edited 2023-05-23 12:08:48

@xkoeckiiej 

Thanks for the update.

Is the current network layout like this one:

/satellite M4 #1

internet---main Deco M4---Plasma Cloud PS8-L---

\satellite M4 #2

like it has been mentioned here:

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul

Q5-What can I do if the Ethernet backhaul is not taking effect?

Deco switching from Wi-Fi backhaul to Ethernet backhaul may create a short loop in the network for 1~2s. If your switch supports loop detection/Spinning tree, it may block the port used by Deco. Only turning off the Loop detection on the ports which connect to Decos will not affect other ports. You could also enable the Spinning tree after the Ethernet Backhaul has been created. 

Best regards.

Options
2023-05-23 11:29:48

@David-TP 

hi David,

My apologies, it was the tl-sg-108.

I am not sure if it also has loop detection.

Nevertheless, the decos bring my whole network down. What can I do to fix this aside from running spanningtree to prevent it ?

Options
2023-05-23 12:25:51

@xkoeckiiej 

Hi, TL-SG108 does not support loop detection. (TL-SG105 does not support either after double checking with the engineers. sorry about the previous mistake.)

And if your connection is like:

--/satellite M4#1

internet---main router----TL-SG108-----main M4

--\satellite M4#2

it should not cause any issues.

But for Plasma Cloud PS8-L with a spinning tree,

Are you able to only disable the spanning tree on specific ports(that are connected to 3*M4), not on the whole switch?

The 1-2s Backhaul loop could not be disabled yet and I think as long as more than one Decos are behind the switch, it will trigger the loop.

Or have you tried the setup:

main router---Plasma Cloud PS8-L--main M4--<cable>---satellite M4#1---<cable>--satellite M4#2

Thank you very much.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 558

Replies: 6

Related Articles