Archer MR 600 v2 - doesn't work at all

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-18 19:10:33 - last edited 2023-05-23 01:03:17
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.6.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 220105 Rel.58321n

I bought the MR600 last week in Rome, as well as two sim cards to test - one from Vodafone and one from Wind3. Both sims work in my smartphone and deliver either 4G+ or LTE connectivity here in Southern Italy.

After setting up the MR600 on the first day, using the Vodafone sim, internet worked fine and was fast - we are physically located close to towers. However, as of the following day no internet works at all. Strangely, the interface suggests that I am connected to the internet but speed test doesn't run (returns a message saying there's no connection) and browsers also do not navigate. I have tested the connection my linux laptop, on a windows laptop, and an android smartphone - none of them work.

Looking at the tower information here, Vodafone runs on bands 1,3, and 20 so I tried entering "4G only" and bands 1,3,20 in "Advanced settings"... this did nothing.

I tried doing a factory reset, but this didn't work (even though the "quick setup" claimed the connection test was a success)... :

Here is tower information for the towers that my smartphone connects to :

I am a little surprised that there is NO functioning internet at all. Does anyone have ideas about what could be going on?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer MR 600 v2 - doesn't work at all-Solution
2023-05-22 19:04:29 - last edited 2023-05-23 01:03:17

@GADM 

I think the only way to get this solved would be to go back to the Vodafone or Wind3 store and show them directly that your phone with their SIM card inside can't share the Internet connection via its hotspot feature and ask them what can be done to make it work. Once it works again with the phone it should work with the router as well. 

By the way, do you have the exact name of the Vodafone_it mobile data plan you are using?

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer MR 600 v2 - doesn't work at all
2023-05-19 02:07:24

@GADM 

Hi,

1. Please go to Advanced->Network->LAN Settings, try to configure Primary DNS as 8.8.8.8 and Secondary DNS as 8.8.4.4, then save it and test internet connection again

2. If internet still doesn't work, please insert the same Vodafone SIM into your smartphone again, and then enable phone hotspot on the smartphone, connect the same laptop to the phone hotspot to see if it works fine. That could confirm whether the SIM plan allows to share internet access to multiple devices.

3. If phone hotspot works fine via the same SIM card, please insert it back to MR600, go to Advanced->Network->Internet page, click Create Profile Manually to enter APN etc. manually, please try IPv4 only as PDP Type, also try to change APN Type as Dynamic to see if it makes any difference.

4. If the problem still exists, please email "support.forum@tp-link.com" with subject "Forum ID 609470 Archer MR 600 v2 - doesn't work at all" and provide us the system log file saved on Advanced->System Tools->System Log page.

Options
2023-05-20 06:59:14

@Sunshine Thank you for your reply.

It seems like 2. is an issue - while this sim is a data only sim and works fine in my smartphone, I am not able to use it as a hotspot device. This is surprising as I stated that I would use the sim for a router when I purchased it. It also seems strange that the router worked for a day before issues arose.

What should I do to troubleshoot this - purchase a new sim entirely or is there some configuration troubleshooting I can do?

Options
2023-05-20 23:39:13 - last edited 2023-05-20 23:40:31

@GADM 

Hi,

Are you saying that if you put the Vodafone Italia SIM card in a smartphone and activate its hotspot, then the smartphone hosting the hotspot can browse the Internet, but at the same time the devices connected to that hotspot cannot?

By the way, when checking the Internet connectivity you might want to stay away from speed tests and instead just browse some websites.

I don't know if it's rumor or fact, but according to this website

prepaid-data-sim-card<dot>fandom<dot>com/wiki/Italy#No_speed_tests_allowed (replace <dot> with .) people have gotten banned for excessive speed testing.

Options
2023-05-22 14:31:55

@woozle

Are you saying that if you put the Vodafone Italia SIM card in a smartphone and activate its hotspot, then the smartphone hosting the hotspot can browse the Internet, but at the same time the devices connected to that hotspot cannot?

Yes, that is what I am saying. I will also point out that I have another SIM (a T-mobile sim from the US) which does allow me to use the smartphone as a hotspot, however T-mobile partners with TIM for coverage in Italy, which only offers band 20 in this area. I have chosen Vodafone (and also have a Wind3 sim, which has the same problem as my Vodafone sim) because it seems to have the best coverage in my area.

By the way, when checking the Internet connectivity you might want to stay away from speed tests and instead just browse some websites.

Yes I do exactly that as well. In addition to speed tests failing, pages do not load, and also the wifi icon on my laptop shows no signal and a "?" in the middle of it.

Options
Re:Archer MR 600 v2 - doesn't work at all-Solution
2023-05-22 19:04:29 - last edited 2023-05-23 01:03:17

@GADM 

I think the only way to get this solved would be to go back to the Vodafone or Wind3 store and show them directly that your phone with their SIM card inside can't share the Internet connection via its hotspot feature and ask them what can be done to make it work. Once it works again with the phone it should work with the router as well. 

By the way, do you have the exact name of the Vodafone_it mobile data plan you are using?

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 497

Replies: 5

Related Articles