TP-link Archer ax20 lag issues with Xbox Series X

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-21 11:47:10
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.7 build 20230119 rel. 77059

Hello,

I am facing lag issues with the online gaming on Xbox series X and Archer AX20 router which are directly connected with a cat 8 lan cable. There is permanent lag when playing online games on the console. In the router settings, the console is in the DMZ devices and the UnPn is enabled, the MTU is set to 1492 without fragmentation. There is no difference if the QoS is enabled or disabled for the device.

I have carried out several tests and when connecting the Xbox directly to the LAN cable the lag issues are fixed and the online games run smoothly. It is also interesting that using the wi-fi instead of the cable solves the lag issues but the connection is not stable all of the times and the games freeze regularly. Would you kindly comment if any possible solution is available or I the only one is to change the router to gaming one?

Thanks in advance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-link Archer ax20 lag issues with Xbox Series X
2023-05-22 06:44:26

@Nikolad 

Can I know what is the upload and download speed you paid for the internet? How about the wired connection speed on the Xbox, is it good enough as compared to the bandwidth you paid for?

May I confirm who is your ISP? Is there a modem provided by your ISP? You mentioned there is no lag issue when connecting the Xbox to the LAN cable, does it mean connecting the Xbox to the ISP LAN cable directly?

When you mentioned the games freeze regularly when the Xbox is connecting to the wireless network, does it connect to the 5G network? Have you tried to modify the wireless settings on the AX20, such as changing the channel and channel width, and changing the wireless mode to 802.11a/n/ac mixed?

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:TP-link Archer ax20 lag issues with Xbox Series X
2023-05-23 05:13:19

@Kevin_Z 

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Please find further details below:

The speeds are 290 mbps download and 180 mbps upload. The speed on the xbox is without loss but according to speed tests on the console the ping is almost double with the router wired connection compared to the ISP direct connection.

My ISP is A1 in Bulgaria. Also, I put the ISP LAN cable directly to the xbox and set the ip/mac address accordingly.

The xbox is connected directly to the 5G network as both devices stand next to each other. I will try again switching the channels and the wireless mode as the last time was some time ago.

Options