V3 firmware revision history / upgrade safety & G4+

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-22 15:46:26 - last edited 2023-05-22 16:00:12
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 22062901

Hi, I  bought one of these routers from Argos a few days ago and it's current isp revision is 22062901, I see the current revision for download is 23021501.

The router is working on the UK EE network on a tower within sight, signal level is 75-100% however carrier aggregation does not work (G4+).

I should add the SIM is penny mobile who do support G4+

I have seen some chatter here suggesting this may be a router firmware (isp) issue, however I am extremely concerned to upgrade for two reasons

1/ There is NO REVISION HISTORY available for these products, that is very bad

2/ The website tells me that is the download proves to be faulty there is no way back to the preceding revision, not helpful either!

Any suggestions as to the best course of action ?

Options
9 Reply
Re:V3 firmware revision history / upgrade safety & G4+
2023-05-23 02:31:07

@fourtytwo 

Hi, based on the screenshot, you've selected band 3 and band 20 manually, may I know if your ISP supports any other band combinations in 4G+?

If so, please try to select other band combinations to see if it will work on 4G+, also try auto band to see if it makes any difference.

Besides, please try to run speedtest and also download large files to see if it will show 4G+.

By the way, do you have any other Cat6 product available for comparison? If so, please insert the same SIM card into another Cat6 product at same location to see if it will work on 4G+, if so, please also check which band(s) it uses.

Options
2023-05-23 07:33:50

Sunshine wrote

@fourtytwo 

Hi, based on the screenshot, you've selected band 3 and band 20 manually, may I know if your ISP supports any other band combinations in 4G+?

If so, please try to select other band combinations to see if it will work on 4G+, also try auto band to see if it makes any difference.

Besides, please try to run speedtest and also download large files to see if it will show 4G+.

By the way, do you have any other Cat6 product available for comparison? If so, please insert the same SIM card into another Cat6 product at same location to see if it will work on 4G+, if so, please also check which band(s) it uses.

@Sunshine 

Hi Sunshine,

There are no other bands on my mast.

I previously had it set to auto and it also did not work.

I have run speedtests & downloaded large files and it does not switch into + mode

I have an Ipad but have discovered it doesn't support +

Can you provide the revision history information between the revision as sold in my router and your present release please ?

Options
2023-05-24 02:31:43

@fourtytwo 

Hi, the ISP file usually updates or adds the default APN profiles for some ISPs, for example, the ISP file 23021501 updated APN profile for CUHK.

Since your ISP is UK EE, there is no need to update the ISP file version, just make sure the firmware version is the latest one.

Options
2023-05-24 07:12:24

Sunshine wrote

@fourtytwo 

Hi, the ISP file usually updates or adds the default APN profiles for some ISPs, for example, the ISP file 23021501 updated APN profile for CUHK.

Since your ISP is UK EE, there is no need to update the ISP file version, just make sure the firmware version is the latest one.

@Sunshine 

Hi Sunshine,

To me this is where the whole problem starts, TPlink are using confusing terminology........

When I check your website downloads section the only thing available is an ISP file, I had assumed this must be the firmware, however I see the product itself lists a firmware revision separately to the ISP version!! And it is in fact Firmware Version:‪1.1.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 220727 Rel.74013n

Are you saying the ISP file includes the firmware ?

If so how do we (the customers) know what the current firmware release should be ?

AND once again, where is the product firmware revision history to be found ??????????

Regards

Options
2023-05-25 01:06:12

@fourtytwo 

Hi, MR600 V3 official firmware is still in releasing process, it will be available soon on the website, that is why there is no Firmware tab on the website.

After its firmware is uploaded to the official website, you will see Firmware except for ISP File such as the screenshot below for MR600 V2, and the firmware revision history could also been seen in the release note.

By the way, firmware usually includes ISP file update, to know more about them, please refer to: Go to know ISP Upgrade Function on LTE Gateway Routers and Mobile Wi-Fi Devices 

In addition, 

Options
2023-05-25 08:09:36

@fourtytwo  Hi Sunshine,

Ohh neat trick, sell the product BEFORE the firmware has finished test!! New one on me lols

So on that basis I guess the testers have not gotten  around to carrier aggregation yet which is why it doesn't work ?

Can we have a list of what they have tested and what they have not so far ?

Regards

Options
2023-05-25 08:20:13

@fourtytwo 

Maybe I was not clear enough, all the official firmware used for production in factory and sold to customers have passed the QA team tests, including your MR600 V3 firmware.

What I said  "MR600 V3 official firmware is still in releasing process" means the official firmware is not on the official website yet, there is some delay in the process of publishing it on the official website, but it doesn't mean the firmware is still under test.

By the way, your current firmware is the latest official firmware at this moment.

Options
2023-05-26 07:36:21

@Sunshine Hi Sunshine, thanks for your reply, I had thought the way I understood it was unusual, I am pleased to hear the firmware is fully tested smiley

I have had a W8960 for years and it performed very well, that's why I chose  TPlink LTE router.

So the issue of 4G+ remains but as I have no other equipment to prove it one way or the other and you don't seem to have any relevant outstanding bugs I will have to let it rest till I can prove otherwise!

Otherwise I am very pleased with the LTE router, it's WIFI performance is an uptick on the old W8960 and I am slowly getting my head around the management features. One thing that would be useful would perhaps be a daily usage limit per MAC address or similar, kids for example can eat all the allowance leaving nothing for the adults laugh

Options
2023-05-29 02:53:53

@fourtytwo 

Thank you very much for the valuable suggestion about daily usage limit, we will record it and feedback to related engineer for evaluation.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 622

Replies: 9