DECO X20 access point mode malfunction

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-28 18:05:45 - last edited 2023-07-11 08:34:05
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version:

Hello dear deco community.

I owe 3 deco x20 units in my home, one to each floor.

The main unit is connected directly to my router.

And all units are connected via ethernet cable for better connection quality.

As for now, my mesh system is set as 'Router Mode' and my router provided by the internet supplier company is set to not deliver any wifi.

That is because I wish to have a single network in my house, and not two different ones.

My wish is to turn on the wifi transmission from the and that the deco units transmit the same network through ethernet cables.

When switching the deco to 'Access Point Mode' they all still working the same way, having two different networks, one from my supplier's router, and the other of deco.

Is there a way to make deco "ride" on the existing wireless network that the supplier's router is providing, without the deco transmitting a new network?

Thank you very much.

Options
3 Reply
Re:DECO X20 access point mode malfunction
2023-05-28 19:35:46

@OB99 

Deco mesh will always transmit its own WiFi network.

With you home setup, the optimal configuration is to run Deco mesh in Access Point mode, and turn off router WiFi.

If necessary, buy one more X20, attach it to the router with short Ethernet cable and that would be replacement for your router WiFi. 

Options
2023-05-28 19:40:10

@Alexandre. Thank you for your response.

What is the reason that in my home setup access point is better? Its the same as router mode but without the router control features, isnt it?

Options
2023-05-28 19:48:36

@OB99 

What you have now on your home network is two routers connected to one another: Main Deco (router) connected to ISP Router.

This should work fine most of the time, but occasionally may cause problem with specific apps and devices. The problem name is double NAT. Google "double NAT error" for detailed explanation.

The common recommendation is to get rid of one of routers. In your case, switching Deco mesh to Access Point mode will do that, and it is the easiest way.

An extra benefit of running Deco mesh in AP mode is anything connected to ISP Router Ethernet ports will be on the same one network. 

From the other hand, as long as you don't see issues from your current configuration and you don't need ISP Router Ethernet ports for devices such as network printer/scanner, you can keep the configuration you have now: Deco mesh running in its default router mode.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 369

Replies: 3

Related Articles