Deco PX50 not using Powerline backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco PX50 not using Powerline backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
111 Reply
Re:Deco PX50 not using Powerline backhaul
2023-08-03 21:00:25 - last edited 2023-08-03 21:03:31

I checked the PLC status a few times during the day and it was connected but again at night the powerline connection has dissapered from the app only to appear again a few minutes later then go again.

Options
2023-08-06 21:05:50

Anyone-else having nighttime problems with the powerline connection dropping out?

Options
2023-08-08 06:05:24

@Alexmesh Hello, afraid not. My units have been stable since resetting them. Not noticed any drop outs and have been working from home more the last week or so. 
We also had a power cut in the area where the power tripped several times in quick succession and the units still recovered.  The units are running on 1.0.3. 
Not sure why your units aren't maintaining a stable connection, it could be a genuine fault with them?

I have a vague memory of switching the power off at the fuse box when using the original DLan connectors when they first came out but not sure that helps with these more modern connectors.

Alexmesh wrote

Anyone-else having nighttime problems with the powerline connection dropping out?

Options
2023-08-08 15:50:27

@Alexmesh 

Likewise I normally work from home and have not noticed any dropouts. I am also on 1.0.3 firmware though it is Build 20230614 Rel. 62408 which I manually updated to for the support call and I haven't bothered downloading and reverting back to the publicly available Build.

Options
2023-08-08 20:34:20

@ommoti They seem to manage ok in the day (as far as I know) but in late evening from 8-10pm I've noticed that's when they'll flick between PLC and wifi at random. I'm guessing interferance on the mains but I haven't been able to track anything down in the house.

Funny thing about power cuts, the RCD tripped today due to an unrelated fault and they came up again as PLC but took a while to boot up.

Options
2023-08-08 20:36:00 - last edited 2023-08-08 22:19:16

@Dracon Not even in the late evening between 8pm-10pm? Apart from that it's ok. It's a bit temperamental when it does happen and you've probably got to watch the app for a good 20 minutes. Did they say there were any fixes on the new firmware you're using?

Options
2023-08-22 18:17:47

Received my PX50 kit today. I have been using the tl-wpa8635p kit to get internet in my garage. Always stable connection and about 100Mbps down/up. But I wanted an all in one solution to also get wifi to the bedrooms upstairs. I now have 1 px50 in the living room, which replaced my isp router. 1 px50 upstairs connected with an ethernet cable. And 1 in my garage. Thanks to this thread I managed to get the plc+wifi working. Down/up speed is less then with my previous kit, which I don't mind that much but it is less stable because it sometimes switches to only wifi.

I hope this get sorted because I like the ones in my house, I now get excellent coverage anywhere I go inside. 

Meanwhile, can I use my previous kit (tl-wpa8635p) for now to get stable internet again in my garage? The 2 px50's in house are connected through ethernet. 

Options
2023-08-22 21:16:45

@Alexis1980 Are there times of the day when your PLC connection falls back to wifi? Mine seems to be in late evening also there seems to be high jitter on speed tests and latency spikes at random times during the day.

Options
2023-08-23 03:33:37 - last edited 2023-08-25 15:08:07

@Alexmesh was in my garage in the evening between 6.30 and 8.30. Have not checked during the day.

This was a test from a few days ago with the wpa8635p powerline kit

This test is with the px50 installed and using PLC+wifi

Update:

Moved the main deco to the hallway, this puts an extra wall between it and the one in the garage. It also moves the main deco closer to the Electric panel from where the wires to the garage run. 

Yesterday evening I had faster speeds then with my previous kit and the connection stayed stable.

Options
2023-09-02 06:09:09

Hadn't expected this thread to blow up quite as much as it did, but clearly I wasn't the only one having this issue.

It's taken a while but finally I've gotten around to trying one of the proposed fixes suggested by some of the folks in this thread and by TP-Link support themselves - factory resetting the Decos using the Reset pin on the back of the unit & rebuilding the home network setup. Not the most convenient fix as I rely on my home network for work, and taking down the internet for any period of time is less than ideal. I was also not looking forward to the prospect of resetting my wifi setup and having to re-add all my connected devices. Thankfully I had some time this morning to try it relatively risk-free, and reusing the same SSID and wifi password during the "new setup" process saved me that job of needing to go round and add all those wifi connected devices again.

And what do you know? Everything does look good. At least so far. Those PLC indicators are a very welcome sight, and it's even got the topology mapped how I would want it, with both satellites routing to the Hallway main Deco, rather than daisy chaining the satellites. I'll be periodically checking to see if the PLC link stays up (and letting you know if it doesn't) as I'd seen some replies mentioning intermittent connections, but on the face of it, seems like this is the solution.

I had also been having a recurring issue where the wifi on my phone would seemingly at random disconnect from the internet but not the wifi but I suspect there was a conflict with my OPNsense router and the Decos. I've decommissioned it temporarily & running the Deco in router mode to see if that solves it.

I have to wonder if adding my PX50 Decos to the network while my older M4 Decos were still present had some bearing on this? Hard to say for sure, but if people have had the same PLC issue from brand new network, perhaps not. Ah well, fingers crossed this is the fix that solves it.

Options