Deco PX50 not using Powerline backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco PX50 not using Powerline backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
111 Reply
Re:Deco PX50 not using Powerline backhaul
2023-07-26 16:29:30
Hello, they didn't really say very much other than they couldn't find the reason why it wasn't working. I'm still of the opinion it is working but maybe the wifi to the shed stretches that far and it never used powerline. I will return the units but try the TPLink X75 Pro dual units as they may provide a stronger wifi signal. They are about the same price as the PX50 triple pack
Options
2023-07-27 11:07:49 - last edited 2023-07-27 14:06:18

@ommoti @Alexmesh 

So they went at it for 2 days straight - I even hooked up another laptop connected via Ethernet cable to one of the PX50s and they installed putty and other sniffers/configurators and it couldn't detect the G.hn network at all. After they finished they left my WiFi unstable due to the changes they've made so I've just reverted it back to the latest firmware via the app myself. They said they will hopefully find a solution soon but haven't provided me any further instructions or updates today.

@ommoti are you referring to the XE75 pro (WiFi 6E) with the 6GHz dedicated backhaul? That was my other choice but the 3x set is another £100+ more than the PX50s. The PLC isn't a necessity for me but as I had TP-Link AV2000 TL-PA9020P and TL-WPA9610 KIT (4 nodes) working previously I thought this would have been a nice mesh drop-in replacement. Even without PLC I still get better performance than my old system but I will definitely be returning it for something else if they can't figure this out.

Options
2023-07-27 16:08:54

@Dracon This isn't good and is concerning as the mesh network is currently the backbone for my network and with others living here having it in an unusable state for such time is going to be a problem, also the one connected to the router lives in a bedroom with a night shift worker sleeping in during the day. I'm rather dissapointed that they haven't been able to detect the powerline backhaul on these units and they somehow were still put on sale.

By solution I'm assuming a firmware upgrade or maybe a product recall if some have faulty hardware.

Options
2023-07-27 17:05:24

@Alexmesh couldn't agree more with all comments, I do wonder whether it's a hardware fault.  Anyway releasing a substandard product to market is bad form, the UK reviews for this now have zero credibility

As it is I'm not out of pocket as I was looking at the triple X50 anyway and it is basically that and I paid more or less the same price, but I will look forward to either a firmware update or a replacement from TP link when the time comes

Options
2023-07-27 19:07:30

@Dracon Yes the Wi-Fi 6e model. I've bought the dual unit pack rather than the triple as I reckon the coverage should be okay, I can always buy a power link or av plug to get to the office if they don't quite cover everything. 
 I toyed with the idea to keep the px50's as they are doing the job but decided in the end to get something that was working as intended rather than half a product. 

Dracon wrote

@ommoti @Alexmesh 

So they went at it for 2 days straight - I even hooked up another laptop connected via Ethernet cable to one of the PX50s and they installed putty and other sniffers/configurators and it couldn't detect the G.hn network at all. After they finished they left my WiFi unstable due to the changes they've made so I've just reverted it back to the latest firmware via the app myself. They said they will hopefully find a solution soon but haven't provided me any further instructions or updates today.

@ommoti are you referring to the XE75 pro (WiFi 6E) with the 6GHz dedicated backhaul? That was my other choice but the 3x set is another £100+ more than the PX50s. The PLC isn't a necessity for me but as I had TP-Link AV2000 TL-PA9020P and TL-WPA9610 KIT (4 nodes) working previously I thought this would have been a nice mesh drop-in replacement. Even without PLC I still get better performance than my old system but I will definitely be returning it for something else if they can't figure this out.

Options
2023-07-30 11:19:47 - last edited 2023-07-30 11:51:14

Just bought the triple pack PX50 and like others, the main selling point is the power line capability. I have the main deco connected to a router and have kept the deco in router mode. The first satellite deco located upstairs connects over power line with no issue and has maintained the connection after a number of reboots.  The second satellite I have tried in several locations and won't connect over power line.  Like others, I'm at a loss of what to do to resolve

Options
2023-07-30 11:50:38

@Andrew155 

Have just done a firmware update followed by a reboot.  Topology changed as result, so removed a satellite, reset and added again.  Both satellites are now connecting over power line. 

Options
2023-07-30 11:56:23 - last edited 2023-07-30 11:57:06

@Andrew155 

That's very interesting! So did you remove the satellite completely then add it as a new one?

Would you mind posting a screenshot of your topology, please?

Options
2023-07-30 12:00:49
Hi, yes removed the Deco, did a reset and the added again
Options
2023-07-30 12:18:36 - last edited 2023-07-30 12:26:02

@Andrew155 That's interesting, do you have the v1 or v1.6 version of the px50? I've never been able to get the powerline symbol to appear with my px50 mesh in the app.

Which firmware version did you update to?

Options