I have a Deco M5 here that keeps disconnecting while the modem stays online.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-03 19:45:04
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.5.9 build 20200509

We got the M5 along with a technicolor TC4400-AM modem a few years ago, and for the most part, it's been fairly decent. I recently updated the firmware because we were experiencing random disconnects. Now in the past few days, it's been disconnecting (red light) while the modem stays fully connected to the internet. The only way I can get it to reconnect is to manually login and reboot it. It might stay connected for 30 min or 3 hours... but it doesn't seem to reconnect by itself anymore. This is not just an annoyance for me, an avid gamer who streams the games to various platforms for hours on end, but it has started to randomly disconnect in the middle of the night and when the other people in the household wake up and there is not internet, I am usually the first person they come to (often while I'm still eating breakfast) to deal with the connection issue. 

Now, as I said... the modem stays fully connected as far as I can determine. If I unplug the ethernet cable and connect it directly to one of my PCs, I can access the internet without any problem. I have one PC directly connected to the M5 because... gaming, naturally.

I have looked online for possible reasons that it might be disconnecting, but so far I have found nothing helpful. Is there anyone here who has experienced this and if so, could you please pass along any suggestions on how I might solve the problems we are having? 

Thanks,

Sheppy

Options
1 Reply
Re:I have a Deco M5 here that keeps disconnecting while the modem stays online.
2023-06-07 11:51:40

@Sheppy 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

May I know who is your internet provider? I see the firmware is 2.5.9 which is the ISP-customized version. Is the Deco provided by ISP directly?

Have you checked the IPV4 settings on the Deco APP when the main M5 turned red during the connection? Would there still be a pair of valid IP addresses?

It is suggested to change the WAN DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4:

How to change DNS server settings on my Deco

And please also enable "WAN Unicast" on the web UI to see whether it helped or not:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/kb/detail/412520

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options