Archer AC1200 C6 V4 installing Archer V3.2 firmware on this device possible?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-05 11:43:29 - last edited 2023-06-06 06:14:21
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm currently trying to purchase an Archer AC1200 C6 V3.20 as require the VPN service on this device.

I keep being sent Archer AC1200 C6 V4 (which do not have the VPN service anymore), which are constantly advertised on various sellers web pages as being V3.20

I've now returned 2 of these routers for being the wrong version & just had a 3rd delivered today (which is once again wrong version) so was wondering if it's possible to install V3.20 firmware on the V4 router at all?

Thank you in advance for any help regarding the above.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer AC1200 C6 V4 installing Archer V3.2 firmware on this device possible?
2023-06-06 03:58:26

@Tristen89 

Hello, Archer C6 V4 cannot install V3.2 firmware since the hardware version is different. It is recommended to confirm the hardware version in advance with the seller before purchasing the device.

In addition, may I know if you just need OpenVPN Server or PPTP VPN Server function? If you are still unable to get the V3.20 version, you could also consider other models that support VPN Server function. You could use some filters on the official website to select or compare our devices:

TP-Link Wi-Fi Routers

Note: Please pay attention to the device versions, for example, if you use VPN Server function as a filter, you will see Archer C6 listed as well, but if you click Archer C6, you will see the product information for V3 instead of V4.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-06-06 07:40:38 - last edited 2023-06-06 09:11:46

@Sunshine 

Hi Sunshine,

Many thanks for your reply.

That's a shame to hear about being unable to install V3.2 firmware on V4 hardware.

Unfortunately all 3 router hardware versions were confirmed in advance (as best as possible) with the sellers before purchasing the devices... 

In all 3 instances the sellers web pages listed the devices as version V3.2

In 1 instance I was able to ask & persuade the seller to actually physically check the stock and confirm that the device was V3.2... but for whatever reason they still sent me V4.

Sadly the other sellers felt it to be too much trouble to physically check & confirm the version number on the box for me.

In regards to the filter and device versions... that's a good point you make about paying attention to device versions. 

Note: Although in this case it isn't relevant... as I'd already previously checked the version compatibility and so had tried to order V3.2 already knowing that V4 didn't have the VPN service I required.

However the filter does need to be updated & made clearer for customers. The trouble is that VPN Server function can be selected in the filter and the Archer C6 could be shown... however as you mention not all Archer C6 router versions support the VPN Server function. 

Which makes the filter misleading... and it would probably be better if it explicitly stated/showed which version/s of a router model support the VPN service - rather than just showing a router model as being compatible with VPN services.

As while researching online and checking version functionality. I came across a number of posts on various forums where other customers had purchased the Archer 1200 C6 - only to discover that previous features available on older models had been removed. 

I will probably return the TP Link Router again & purchase another Asus router, as even their most basic routers seem to offer VPN services. I would try again with a different model of TP Link router, but I'm worried about having to research and check the different versions - in order to see which features have been removed. Plus the additional concern of having the wrong version of the router sent to me again.

I also noticed this router V4 is missing Alexa compatibility compared to previous models... & it's a shame that TP Link has removed features/functionality from the newer version of this model.

Is there any possibility TP Link will add VPN service to Archer 1200 C6 V4? As I noticed there is a feature request forum. 

Thank you in advance for any further assistance.

Options
2023-06-08 06:28:53 - last edited 2023-06-08 08:09:33

Could someone tell me what processor is in the Archer 1200 C6 version 4 please? 

Also what processor in inside the Archer 1200 C6 version 3.2?

As would like to know what the possibility is of TP Link adding a VPN server to version 4 of this router in the future?

As kindly mentioned above by Sunshine version 4 of this router uses different hardware, so is that the hardware used isn't powerful enough to include a VPN? 

Also if the hardware has been changed & can no longer run a VPN server  - then perhaps version 4 of this router should have been renamed for example-

Instead of Archer 1200 C6 to perhaps Archer 1200 D6 or similar.

To reflect that it's a downgraded router which uses/contains different hardware lacking in both functionality & capability as unable to run a VPN server & Alexa compatibility etc) in comparison to the previous better routers. 

I also noticed another recent forum post from yesterday mentioning that there is no VPN client on the new AX53 models & asking why it wasn't included. I would also be interested to know as to why TP link are removing all these features like VPN client, VPN server etc from newer TP Link router models please?

Thank you in advance for any info regarding the above.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1058

Replies: 3

Related Articles