Dns Question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Dns Question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Dns Question
Dns Question
2023-06-07 07:51:33
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.5

Good morning.

A question to understand the difference because i dont know.

When you choose a static ip for the wan connection of the deco it lets you choose also the dns, then you can choose dhcp ip ranges and also dns settings there for the lan part.

what happens if i put a static ip for wan connection of the deco with googles dns and then for the lan part i put dhcp addresses with cloudflare dns?

the clients will connect with cloudflares dns? if yes why i have to choose in both places the dns.

if anybody knows the answer i will be happy to learn this, this also applies to tplink omada.

thank you

Options
1 Reply
Re:Dns Question
2023-06-08 03:53:22

@akapal 

Hi, I used to have the same question and the Answer here helped a lot:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wan-dns-and-lan-dns.29940/

It might be a little old but it works for Deco as well:

Deco has itself run as a DNS proxy and the DHCP server page on the Deco APP will usually contain Deco LAN IP (that's the default when it's left empty but you could also customize your own server if needed), which means your clients will get this IP as the DNS server, and then Deco performs all DNS lookups using the DNS obtained either from the ISP or manually entered on the IPV4 page. Having this means that Deco can easily act as a caching server for DNS queries for the whole LAN, which can improve performances.

So the client will connect with cloudflares dns first, then to Google dns.

Best regards.

Options