Wifi not extending

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wifi not extending

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Wifi not extending
Wifi not extending
2023-06-20 16:59:30
Model: TL-WPA4220   TL-PA4010  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all

I have a pair of TP plugs, wpa4220 and pa4010.

I've used them as I needed to get a wired connection a distance, and that works fine (120mb at router and about 110mb gets to my laptop, which is plenty).

But my wireless devices are getting 30-40mb (100+ if I go stand by the router), so clearly the WiFi extender aspect isn't working. I set it up by holding wps on the router and the clone button on the plug (then when the light was steady, unplugged it and moved it upstairs).

I don't get a new device on my WiFi list, should I? Anyone have any tips on how to fix? I downloaded the app and the plug appears as nearby, but then it gives me an error when I try and access it.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Wifi not extending
2023-06-20 18:24:10

@Firecat 

Hi,

The two Powerline adapters are paired by pressing the "Pair" button on the WPA4220 and PA4010.

Pressing the WPS button of the router and the "Wi-Fi" or "Clone" button of the WPA4220 results in the the router's Wi-Fi name (SSID) being "cloned" to the WPA4220, which means there will no new Wi-Fi network name show up in the Wi-Fi lists of your devices.

If you don't want it to be that way, then hard-reset both, the WPA4220 and PA4010 and after that only do the pairing part. Then you should see a new Wi-Fi network. The name (SSID) and wireless password of that Wi-Fi network are printed on the label on the backside of the WPA4220.

Options
2023-06-20 18:30:36

@woozle 

OK, do you think that will help? At the moment I suppose I don't know where my devices are connecting; well, I strongly suspect they are connecting two floors away.

Maybe I should give it its own ID then connect my upstairs static items to it...

Options
2023-06-20 20:49:27

@Firecat 

For troubleshooting a problem it's definitely better to have different Wi-Fi SSIDs for the router and the Powerline adapter, so that you can always easily see where you are connected to.

For daily use both options have their advantages and disadvantages. Using the same SSID for all wireless APs is more convenient, but, as you have likely experienced, client devices might cling onto the wireless AP that provides a slower connection even when the wireless signal from the main router is sufficiently strong to get a faster overall connection.

By the way, once you've managed to get into the configuration page of the WPA4220 ( http://tplinkplc.net ) set the "Channel Width:" to "40 MHz" instead of "Auto" in the "Wireless Settings" menu. Other than that there isn't much you can do regarding the slow Wi-Fi speeds.

What speed get the same wireless devices when connected to the main router's 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi?

Options
2023-06-21 13:57:15 - last edited 2023-06-21 14:08:02

@woozle 

Thanks for the help.

I've reset it and told my pc to connect to the plug. After I set the width to 40 I now get mid 30s (whereas it was mid 20s connected to the router through two floors). I admit, I don't understand why the plug receives 100ish but only passes on 30 odd...

Using my mobile, I get 37 using the router (2 floors away), 27 using the plug (literally 5 feet away) and 151 using the router (again 5 feet away by which i mean i walk downstairs and stand next to it).

Somethings not right here...

Options
2023-06-21 22:56:04 - last edited 2023-06-21 23:03:10

@Firecat 

I agree that is odd. Whether it would be like that with any WPA4220 or just the one WPA4220 you have is uncertain, though.

Can you check the so-called "Link Speed" of the wireless connection while you are connected to the WPA4220?
In Windows this can be seen by viewing the "Properties" of the wireless connection and Android smartphones usually also show this information after tapping on the name of the currently connected wireless network.

For comparison also check the Link Speed when you are connected to the router's Wi-Fi.

Android example:

Options
2023-06-22 16:26:52

@woozle 

OK so on my PC (attic) connected to my router (2 floors down) it reads 97/162.

My PC and the powerline in the same room reads 162/300!

Just ran speed test again and I get 30 via the plug. My laptop was getting 97 via the ethernet via the plug.

Options
2023-06-22 23:18:14

@Firecat 

The link speeds of the wireless connection actually look reasonable. So the limitation must be within the TL-WPA4220, but I doubt there is anything the user can do about it.

Do you maybe own an abandoned old wireless router that you could salvage as a wireless access point, connected to the TL-WPA4220 via Ethernet cable?

Options
2023-06-23 18:07:17

@woozle 

I've checked and I only have my Sky Hub SR102 which I connected and my Internet went down 😂

I've since Googled and the word it it's a terrible piece of kit to use for these purposes.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 608

Replies: 8

Related Articles