Network configuration with Deco M4 and Tp-link switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-27 14:39:38
Model: Deco M4   TL-SG108   TL-SG1005LP  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:
Hi everyone.
I am new in this forum.
I would like to ask those more experienced than me if the network configuration of my house and my garage (that is 4 floors down, I have yet brought there a 50 metres LAN cable) will work if I connect the devices as you see in the picture.
Specifically, I would like to make the 2 Deco M4 devices work both in access point mode (so that I have Wifi) and via LAN cables connected to the switches you see in the picture.
I did not understand if this method is called "Ethernet Backhaul", what is it, and if it is the same as my network configuration.
I hope I was clear, unfortunately I'm not very expert on the subject.
And I hope this system works, because if so, I will buy the Tp-link devices listed in the photo.
Thanks for the support.
Best regards.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Network configuration with Deco M4 and Tp-link switches
2023-06-28 09:51:43

@Ale98 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Regardless of the cable length, your network topology would be perfect.

But 50 meters long cable would be a challenge for Ethernet Backhaul and it needs to be a high-quality Ethernet cable.

For your situation, Deco is not your only choice and  2* standard Access Points, like TL-WA1201, might be better:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa1201/

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-06-28 15:04:38

@David-TP 

Hi David and thank you so much for support.

I thought about the Deco M4 because they have Mesh system (I have read it is handy because it provides the same Wifi of the router), but of course if the ethernet backhaul can't work (or work worse) in my situation, I prefer the standard access point (eg: TL-WA1201), as you suggested.

By the way, can you explain me why the ethernet backhaul won't work and so it is better to choose the TL-WA1201 in my situation ? Just for curiosity.

P.S.: I have chose a good quality 50 metres cat 6 ethernet cable (I think so by the reviews and the description on the net: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B00EOTHDWQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details).

Thank you again.

Best regards

Options
2023-06-29 02:32:54 - last edited 2023-06-29 02:35:23

@Ale98 

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

The satellite Deco gets signals from the main Deco via Mesh Backhaul. When the Mesh Backhaul is based on an Ethernet cable, it is normally called an Ethernet Backhaul.  The Ethernet Backhaul of Deco is based on another standard IEEE 1905.1 protocol. During the transmission of packets, longer cables tend to experience more signal loss and interference. If the normal network data is reduced, you might have poor bandwidth or an unstable connection. So if it is a laptop or standard access point, its speed might be less expected but you could still have internet. While for Deco, if the Ethernet Backhaul data is reduced or barely received by Deco, it might try to seek Mesh Backhaul via Wi-Fi, which is also not possible due to the long distance. Then satellite Deco would fail to connect to the main Deco to obtain an internet connection.

We have also received user feedback that Ethernet Backhaul failed with a 30 meters cable but in the Lab test, the engineers were able to have Ethernet Backhaul via 100 meters cable. Since the Cables vary and it is hard to test the quality, a long cable is usually not suggested.

For TL-WA1201, though it does not support mesh, it would not initially suggest clients roam to the closest access points. While due to the long distance, clients themselves could abandon the access point that could barely hold a decent signal. And if the garage devices did not move around, they would directly connect to a stronger Wi-Fi.

Thank you very much.

best regards.

Options
2023-07-15 21:15:08

@Ale98 

Welcome to the forum! Your network configuration seems feasible. Connecting the Deco M4 devices in access point mode and using LAN cables connected to the switches should provide both Wi-Fi and wired connectivity throughout your house and Garage. Ethernet backhaul is a method where the Deco units are connected via Ethernet for improved performance, but your setup seems similar. If everything goes as planned, go ahead and purchase the TP-Link devices. If you have any further questions or need assistance, feel free to ask. Best regards!

Options