Mesh network and main router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-30 08:27:29
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.4

Hi everyone,
I would like to ask a perhaps trivial question but not obvious to me.
I have 3 Deco E4 (hardware v. 1) at home, set in mesh mode. One of this is the "main" because it is connected via ethernet to a internet modem (via switch).
What happens if I also connect the other two Deco via ethernet to the switch? Would I have 3 "main" decos?

thanks,

Pier

Options
3 Reply
Re:Mesh network and main router
2023-06-30 11:38:32

@cl-7k-01 don't work for TP Link so don't take this as gospel but their documentation says the main router should be plugged directly into the modem and then additional nodes through any switches. I use this set up with ethernet backhaul on all nodes and it seems fine

Options
2023-06-30 19:54:25

Thanks for the reply.
currently my configuration is: modem - switch - deco (main) and two deco connected in WiFi to the main.

I'll try as you suggested, but keeping the switch: modem - switch - deco (main) then connecting the other two deco to each other and with the main with the Ethernet cable. The WiFi connection between deco should automatically shut down if I'm not mistaken.

thanks!

Options
2023-07-03 08:23:09

@cl-7k-01 

Hi, you could refer to this link:

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

It is suggested to change the current option mode of Deco to Access Point mode.

Best regards.

Options