Deco S4 unable to connect to internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-02 02:22:49
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Hi all, I'm trying to set up a Deco S4 mesh to replace my ISP provided Huawei router, but having trouble.

I've followed the set up instructions through the app, connect the Deco to the NBN connection box, power both on.

When I connect to the Deco, the LED turns solid blue.

Select connection type PPPoE as specified by my ISP (TPG in Australia).

Enter my TPG username and password, turn on VLAN.

Name the wifi network and set password.

Deco LED turns solid red while the app says 'Creating your wifi network'.

When instructed to connect to the new wifi network, the Deco LED turns solid yellow for 30s and disconnects my phone, then back to solid red and I'm able to reconnect.

App then reads 'Unable to connect to the internet', if i press try again, it tests internet connection again and just loops back to the unable to connect page.

If selecting 'Skip this step', I get the 'Your Deco network is now up' screen.

From here, go to Internet Connection and toggle off 'Ignore Ping from WAN' per ISPs instruction.

A few minutes pass, Deco LED turns solid yellow for 30s and the wifi network disappears, then back to solid red LED, able to reconnect to Deco, still no internet.

At random intervals, this same cycle repeats, LED turns yellow, disconnect, back to red and able to reconnect.

Tried resetting Deco and going through the set up process a few times, still get same result.

Tried setting up using the other Deco units, but none of them behaved differently.

So I cannot connect to the internet, and the Deco seem to only want to stay connected for a few minutes at a time.

If I try connecting my computer to the internet through the old Huawei unit I get internet, so the issue isn't with the connection or ISP.

Any advice on how to proceed?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco S4 unable to connect to internet
2023-07-03 03:16:01

@Winechild 

Hi, could you please help me run a simple test:

1. Still connect the ISP-provided Huawei router to the NBN box.

2. Connect the main Deco behind Huawei router.

3. select connection type Dynamic IP and set up the Deco again.

After that, please check whether Deco S4 could remain white and work well.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Deco S4 unable to connect to internet
2023-07-03 04:58:45

@David-TP Hi David,

So since making my post yesterday I got a response from TPG and it seems the 'Unable to connect to the internet' fault was due to my phone auto-capitalising the first letter of my username. Since rectifying that, if I have the Deco plugged directly into the NBN box I am able to create a network which will have internet access, but the other issue still remains:
The Deco LED will turn solid yellow, the wifi network will disappear, the Deco LED will turn solid red, then switch to white. After a short interval, sometimes only a few seconds, sometimes a minute or two, the cycle will repeat: back to solid yellow, network disappears, solid red, solid white for a short time, repeat again.

I tried resetting and trying with one of the other Decos, but would end up in the same as above.

I have also connected each Deco directly to my computer to update the firmware, they are all on firmware 1.5.1, this has made no change to their behaviour.

For your test I have connected: NBN Box > ISP Provided Huawei router > Deco, and attempt to run the set up process again.

I am unable to complete the set up process like this, as the LED on the Deco will turn to solid yellow during the set up before the set up can complete.

I tried with the other Decos and the same: their LED will turn yellow again before I can finish setting them up.

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 441

Replies: 2

Related Articles