ER605 as OpenVPN Client and Port Forwarding

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-05 20:28:26 - last edited 2023-07-05 20:31:13
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: V2_2.1.3_Build 20230616

Hi.

Can somenone tell me if with this new firmware is now possible to forward a port with ER605 as a OpenVPN client?

Internet with Open port 80 - OpenVPN Server - internet - ER 605 as OpenVPN Client - Lan - Web Server port 80.

If possible, how many tunnels can I add as OpenVPN client?

If this is not possible, can we have a firmware to add this feature?

Similar to https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/538506

Options
5 Reply
Re:ER605 as OpenVPN Client and Port Forwarding
2023-08-16 03:42:47

Hi @tobias_ 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Sorry that this is not possible. I think you should think of this in another way, from the VPN type, make it a site-to-site VPN and on the server end, you set up some kind of redirect rules to the IP address on Site A to the IP address of the server on Site B. Or port forward the internal IP from the Site B on the WAN interface on your Site A.

Diagram:

Internet with Open port 80 - OpenVPN A- internet - ER 605 as OpenVPN B- Lan - Web Server port 80.

Site A                                                    Site B

Port forwarding is not effective for the VPN tunnel. If you have seen such an implementation on UBNT, Meraki or Mikrotik, please post the function name and instruction for that. I'll see what I can do for you. Probably can send feedback to the dev.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-08-16 16:36:21 - last edited 2023-08-16 16:40:42

Hi @Clive_A .

Yes, my goal is to have a site to site VPN and forward a port from vpn server internet site to client site vpn lan device.

To be more especific my goal is to buy pure vpn dedicated IP with port forwarding, they say that can be done with DD-WRT, but this time I need another router like ER605, for port forwarding the only option they accept is vpn with OpenVPN. 

Based on Virgo comment here (ER-605 Port Forwarding Over VPN - Business Community (tp-link.com)) if VPN type ist L2TP/PPTP there is an option to forward a port from vpn interface to LAN, so I think the devs just forget to add OpenVPN on interface list at Virtual Server page. 

Options
2023-08-17 01:07:51

Hi @tobias_ 
Let me iterate, we have not implemented it. There is misinformation on the forum and we cannot take care of every single thread and old threads.

If you believe that and insist that it's doable, you can try it out yourself and find out the truth. Find L2TP and PPTP tunnel under the port forwarding, is it available?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-08-17 02:09:06

@Clive_A I assure you that I have used PPTP and Vritual Server for years on TPLink.

I am not just finishing moving a client on a synolgoy router that supports port forwarding from its OpenVPN client using PureVPN.

I like TPlink hardware better but your OVPN implementation is not fully baked. 

Options
2023-08-17 03:21:51

Hi @tamirs 

What model do you have? Omada routers?

Can you post a picture here? Ever since the release of ER605, the first Omada router, I never saw this implemented. And this port forward over the VPN tunnel was not frequently popped up on the forum.

I would not change my stand until you can show me an implementation of that.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1062

Replies: 5

Related Articles