Parental control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Parental control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Parental control
Parental control
2023-07-05 22:01:53
Model: Archer A5  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 0.4 v0001.0 Build 211108 Rel.34725n(4555)

I bought a Archer A5 mostly because it said parentel control on the box and i thought it was time to set some boundries for the kids.

But i ran into some troubel straight out of the gate 

if i activate parental control i have to add a list with allowed websites

i don't want to add evry website they use to the list because all there games connect to other servers and so on

i thought it would work more in the lines i had to add what i want to block but now i have to add what i want to allow ?

i want to set them on a sheduale 9 AM to 9 PM without adding evry singel website

how can i achive this ?

Kind regards

Options
10 Reply
Re:Parental control
2023-07-06 01:12:34 - last edited 2023-07-06 01:13:00

@Tsuna 

For Archer A5 v6, you should use this Parental Controls guide:

Check if your Parental Controls menu corresponds to the guide.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-07-06 08:32:52

@terziyski 

That's just it I don't have all those options....

I have a very basic parental control board 

I can ad the kids there device to it set time tabel and then I have to make a list with all the websites there allowed to go.....

I thought I was working with out of date firmware so I updated it but the options stay the same 

Options
2023-07-06 08:57:45

@Tsuna 

Check this guide - it's for the older v4 and v5 of Archer A5.

If your Parental Controls menu looks like this then you should be able to restrict a particular website to be accessed on a schedule basis.

The configuration tells the router which computer (MAC address), should give access to a website (URL) at a specified time schedule - all other websites should be allowed if not specified in the URL list (i.e. blacklist).

You're describing is a whitelist  - that means to specify every website to which the controlled computer should have access and any other website to be blocked.

If you find your router's Parental Controls menu different than the one in the second guide, you can post a screenshot of yours here.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-07-06 09:12:18

@terziyski 

it looks exactly like the howto you last posted but that doesn't fix the issue i'm having with it i don't have a blacklist only a whitelist so i'm forced to enter every website the kids want to visit into the whitelist else they have no internet at all. This is not how i imaged it would work

i thought it would work with  blacklist now the parental control on the arc 5 is pretty much useless 

then i thought i'm gonna make a guestnetwork and set that on sheduale but i can't set the guestnetwork on a sheduale 

only the normal 2.4 and 5ghz

so guess i wil be forced to make a guest network for my wife and me and set the normal 2.4 and 5 for the kids since this is the only one i can get to work

on a scheduale 

Options
2023-07-06 10:50:17

Now i set the 5Ghz on a schedule from 9AM TO 9PM and it won't turn on again it's now almost 1PM here the 5Ghz doesn't work

timezone is set correct and the time displayed is also correct but still no 5Ghz even if i turn it on manual he auto turns it off again

but according to the shedule it should be on in the first place

Options
2023-07-06 11:37:56

still the 5ghz doesn't turn on when i turn it on manually it turns off again

Options
2023-07-06 21:32:18 - last edited 2023-07-21 00:20:16

@Tsuna 

I really thought that this should be a blacklist, cause if it was a whitelist, it would be too restrictive:

I dealt mostly with the later Parental Controls interface which is based on blacklist principle.

As for the the wirelewss schedule implemention in the A5 FW - you should contact your local tech support, so your questions would be addressed properly.

Options
2023-07-06 22:39:00

Actually, the Wireless Schedule feature appears to do exactly what it says it will do on the screenshot with the schedule table. And this logic is the same on other TP-Link wireless routers that I own.

Options
2023-07-06 22:45:17

@terziyski 

I contacted customer service of TP link.

And they adviced me to buy a more expensive one if I wanted full parental controls.

True story ( have the mails to prove it).

So I bought there product because it said full parental control on the box. Now there saying I should buy the X10 instead because it has more options.

So basically there telling me to buy a more expensive version with the trust that it all will work when they can't even keep there promises on the cheap (44€) model

Options
2023-07-07 00:13:24 - last edited 2023-07-07 00:15:51

@Tsuna 

I understand the inconvenience caused, but I can tell you that if you can replace the Archer A5 for Archer C64, the issue with Parental Controls would be mitigated - their price difference is not too big. In case of Archer C64 you would use the guide from my first post. You should also know that Archer C64 is a full gigabit router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 741

Replies: 10

Related Articles