Deco M5 download cap

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 download cap

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M5 download cap
Deco M5 download cap
2023-07-11 15:24:34
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.5 Build 20230110 Rel. 41561

Hello TP-Link,

I've found a bug with the TP-Link Deco M5v3.

Line: Fiber 1GBs up/down

Modem: Nokia XS-2426G-B connected with a UTP CAT 5e cable to the M5.

Deco M5 in AP mode.

Download speed in de Deco APP are as followed:

It seems the download is capped on around 500Mbps. Upload looks ok.

Speed test (speedtest.net) on the laptop, 5GHz band next to the M5 gives a speed of around 360Mbps down and up, same speeds are met on the smartphone  a Samsung S23.

Pull the cabel from the M5 direct in to the laptop and speeds are 1Gbps.

As soon as you put the M5 in Router mode the speeds are as followed:

It seems that in AP mode the download is caped on 510Mbps.

Could you please provide a firmware that fixes this problem?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M5 download cap
2023-07-12 05:58:17

@Flitsz 

Hi, Thanks a lot for the feedback. the latest firmware for Deco M5 is 1.7.1 and maybe you could update to this version first to see whether the issue still existed:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/deco-m5/#Firmware

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-07-12 14:46:35

@David-TP 

Thansk for your reply.

This is the currend state am i correct to install the 1.7.1 on this model? Because it wont show up on auto update. Just to check

Options
2023-07-12 15:37:33 - last edited 2023-07-12 15:38:07

@Flitsz 

This is really old bug that I reported probably two years ago. In AP mode, Deco M5 and M9 Plus for some reason can't go above 500-550Mbps in their speed test. The problem does not exist in router mode. 

This is purely reporting issue, as my M9 Plus delivers over 600Mbps to smartphone connected to it by WiFi, but only reports 550Mbps in speed test on wired link to ISP router.

It is my understanding that code responsible for speed test comes to Deco from the third party, and because new Deco models do not have it - a fix through firmware is quite unlikely. 

My recommendation: just ignore it. 

Options
2023-07-12 15:41:19

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for your reply .

I would ignore it normaly but the speedtests on laptop, pc and smarthone wont go above like 360Mbps. If it would give me more then the speedtest then it would be ignored but now... I wont get any decent speeds.

If i activate the WIFI on the modem it self i will get the full 1000 but that range is so limited that is why i got the M5 to "upgrade"

Options
2023-07-12 18:31:02

Flitsz wrote

@Alexandre. 

the speedtests on laptop, pc and smarthone wont go above like 360Mbps ... If i activate the WIFI on the modem it self i will get the full 1000 

@Flitsz 

That is different issue.

Check WiFi specs of your modem: you will see it supports WiFi 6 and maybe even WiFi 6E. You need WiFi6, as a minimum, to reach gigabit speeds on WiFi connection.

Deco M5 does not support WiFi6, only WiFi5. Expect to see WiFi speeds under 500Mbps for devices connected to M5, just because it is the limitation of WiFi5 protocol and M5 hardware capabilities.

If you want WiFi speeds reaching 1000Mbps, you bought the wrong Deco. In case you decide to replace it, look for product that supports same WiFi protocols as your modem. Does not matter if it is Deco or a different brand.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 471

Replies: 5

Related Articles