Deco X60 public IP differs from reality

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-15 19:52:15
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I noticed that my public IP adress in the Deco app differs from when I lookup my IP address online. It doesn't make any sense. Also the default gateway is far off. Is my router hacked or is ot normal? I did a total reset and it's still the same. When I check for a router update I am unable to do so. Any suggestions? 

Options
13 Reply
Re:Deco X60 public IP differs from reality
2023-07-15 20:05:18
I would like to add that some apps on my iPhone don’t work but as soon I turn on my Windscribe VPN it works without any problems.
Options
2023-07-16 09:07:44
I rebuild my Network with my old Apple Airport Extreme and the network is completely stable again. No outs, no interruptions, all back to normal. That rules out my internet connection so the problem is the Deco X60. I bought them in January 2022 and it has always been working fine. Now after we came back from vacation we have constant short interruptions. I have done a reset twice but no change. Is it possible that a latest update is the reason?
Options
2023-07-16 09:40:51

@ErnieBernie 

I moved this topic to https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/612494?replyId=1227468 as that describes my problem

Options
2023-07-17 08:58:21 - last edited 2023-07-19 09:21:09

@ErnieBernie 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

Deco X60 V2 hasn't been updated for quite a while so the current issues are related to the software update. As for the other post of Deco X60 V3, since the chipset platform has changed, they did not share the same software and I think these two issues are not related.

As for the difference between IPV4 address on Deco and your current public IP address, it usually happened when there are double NATs in your network(CG-NAT Blocks my OpenVPN and restricks the NAT type). You might have another router connected before Deco X60.

Here are some suggestions for your reference:

1. Power off the whole network system for about 10-15mins, then power back.

If the disconnection is repeated again, could you please help me check the following details:

1. Did the disconnection randomly happen to different devices? on both 2.4 or 5ghz? or was the disconnection restrict to several devices only, mainly on 2.4 GHz?

2. Would you have the same issue randomly on all 3 Deco X60 units or a specific Deco unit?

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-07-17 10:22:03

@David-TP 

Hi David

Thanks so much for replying.

Indeed, you are right about the firmware for V2 not being updated for a while so that can't be the reason. You are also right about the difference between IPV4 address on Deco and my current public IP address, I noticed the same issue when I tested my old Apple router which showed the same. So another thing we can rule out :-)

Today I have done a reset and only installed the main Deco X60 router and see what happens. I have tweaked off the Mesh Technology for my Apple wifi devices (Which doesn't make any sense to me as that is why I bought a Mesh router) and also fast roaming and beam forming. 

I have looked at the error report through my iMac and it concerns me that so many errors are reported there. I am not sure if I can share them here with you because they will expose all MAC addresses. 

1) The disconnection before happened on randomly to different devices BOTH network by cable and wifi 2.4 and 5GHz.

2) Difficult to say. All three have been online all the time with green light. My LG TV for example is connected through wire to the main router and that got disconnected all the time (No access to Netflix for example). 

Thanks to advise

Kind Regards Erwin

PS I have also created a ticket on the support page with ID TKID23072818

Options
2023-07-17 13:35:59

@David-TP 

Hi again David,

latest update

After testing 1 DX60 device today and experiencing frequent drop offs again I have switched back to my trustworthy slightly slower Apple router. It's impossible to work from home with this constant internet outage. Before I did the change I saved all the error logs from the Deco X60. So let me know if I can forward them by mail instead of publishing them here.

Thanks to come back with a solid solution.

Kind regards

Erwin

Options
2023-07-17 17:51:00

@ErnieBernie not sure if you are based in the U.K. but more and more U.K. based ISPs (and I assume worldwide) are adopting CGNAT (carrier grade NAT) so they are effectively doing the double NAT in their network to help reduce the amount of public IPv4 addresses in use as IPv4 range is running out. My ISP uses CGNAT and I know a few other people that are getting switched to it. So my public IP on my Deco differs from my public IP on the internet. I only know about this as I had some VPN issues and port forwarding issues.

not saying this is the same as your observation but just putting it out there.

Options
2023-07-17 18:22:14

@dlfranks 

Hi there 

Thanks so much for your reply. I am based in Sweden but you are absolutely right. I checked it with my ISP database and I found an article that this CG-Nat address was introduced here some time ago. I had no idea, first time I hear this from you. Well that explains the difference in my public IP. That problem is solved at least - now my router issue and that I hope will be solved as well soon by TP Link. 

Thanks again yes

Kind regards 

Erwin

Options
2023-07-17 18:52:19

@ErnieBernie no probs. I only found out myself when I couldn’t access things using my public IP anymore and port forwarding. Not many people will notice as it’s meant to be seemless for basic internet access.

your network dropping issue, like you said you can rule out your internet if it’s stable on your old router. You can probably rule out all the various wifi settings if you say that wired devices also drop. As beam forming, fast roaming etc isn’t going to effect that.

if it is effecting wired devices then back to basics, could it be DNS issues? What DNS servers do you have configured? Do these differ to what is set up on the old router? I usually use Google or cloudflare DNS as I don’t like the ISP DNS defaults 

another that I discovered recently on another network I manage is really slow IPv6 responses when IPv6 was enabled. On some devices this just appeared a bit slow and sluggish but on some devices like smart TVs it would make them error as they would time out. Retry and it would work.

as soon is a disabled IPv6 and just kept IPv4 everything was really responsive again.

Could it be your old router isn’t enabling IPv6 out the box but the deco is and that could be a difference?

Options
2023-07-17 20:06:46

@dlfranks 

Well good to know now that CG-Nat excist. You learn new things everyday :-)

I have tried Cloudflare and ControlD DNS but have the same problem. And IPv6 is not enabled on both the old and the new router. 

Strange thing is that as soon I use my VPN on my iPhone I have access but ofcourse only on my iPhone. But the rest of the network is temporarily out. Positive thing with Netflix is that it buffers so once it's work I don't notice the outage. But during the day working from home it's disturbing. I can't always have my VPN on as that will block certain applications. That's why I dusted of my Apple router and use that one in the meantime. Speedwise I don't notive a difference as long I keep it wired. 

That the internet works with VPN must mean something but I have not figured out what.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1132

Replies: 13

Related Articles