Which to use as the main router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-17 07:40:42
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone! 

I recently got my DECO X50 because I want to have better signals in our office and bedroom. Right now I have an AC5400X router, should I setup my deco as the main router or use it as an access-point now? Part of me does not want to mess with what I setup on the ac5400X as there are static ip addresses and address reservations there that takes time to replicate. Is it still seamless if it is in access point mode? 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Which to use as the main router?
2023-07-17 21:27:06

@Herbs21 

Hey

If you are going to run cables into the office / bedroom area and have the Deco positioned in there, then YES switch to Access Point mode.     Honestly if you have reservations etc in place already and dont want to change it, then use AP mode (dont use router mode).

However seamless isnt going to happen as this require the same hardware to work, the AC5400 cant seamlesssly roam with Deco, only Deco to Deco will work.   Therefore when you move to the office/bedroom from the main router, it may either stay connected at super weak... or kick you off and reconnect.  It wont be seamless

If you want seamless, you will need a second Deco.  Position Deco 2 beside the router and disable the router WiFi so only the 2 deco (both AP mode) are broadcasting, they will then work together for seamless roaming.

Options
Re:Which to use as the main router?
2023-07-18 02:36:56

@Philbert Hi Thank you For the Response! 

Did this and works perfectly! one of my nodes is connected wirelessly and the other wired. Thing is I forgot that I have another router WDS Bridged to the ac5400x, what I did was change the ssid of the 2.4ghz of the ac5400x and connected the bridged router to that one. Will that interfere with the deco (Deco and AC5400x have different SSID)

also what am I missing out on making the deco x50 acces point mode vs having the reverse (making the deco the router and ac5400 the accespoint) Thanks again! 

Options