Deco M4 Mesh - Connection Mechanism not logical

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-18 14:42:59
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, 

I bought 3 Deco M4. This is a diagramm of my mesh network (as it should be): 

The Main Deco "Billardraum" is wired. "Bar" is close to the main deco "Billardraum" and "Abstellraum" is far away from "Billardraum"
But my "Abstellraum" shows that it is connected to the main Deco "Billardraum"??? Can I change that somehow? All my Deco Units show that they are connected to the Main Deco. The App shows this: 

Can you please explain how I can fix that? 

BR Felix

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M4 Mesh - Connection Mechanism not logical
2023-07-18 15:06:38

@FF-Communitymem 

In some of the newer firmwares / updates you can choose where the deco node connects too.. (M5 for example) however to my knowledge this is not available on the M4 range (yet anyways)

However the fact its going direct may not be an issue, let me explain

The Deco uses a algorithm to detect the best connection, you will find sometimes that it will prefer to connect the far deco directly to the main deco, rather than via a middle node.   The reason for this is simple, each node you go through cuts the rate of transfer by 50% as it has to repeat the signal.

Therefore if the Abstellraum node can get 60% signal from the Billardaum deco, and 99% from the Bar Deco..   the Billardraum is the one to choose as 60% of 866mbps is faster than 99% of 433mbps.

Going via another node is really only a good option is signal to the main node really low, you screenshot shows Abstrellraum as 2 bar which is more than 50%, so better going direct.

Unless this is causing you issues, personally wouldnt get too caught up on it! 

Options
2023-07-18 15:46:50 - last edited 2023-07-18 15:47:07

Philbert wrote

@FF-Communitymem 

In some of the newer firmwares / updates you can choose where the deco node connects too.. (M5 for example) however to my knowledge this is not available on the M4 range (yet anyways)

@Philbert 

For M4 it is available, but for hardware version 4 only.

List of Deco models with that feature (possibly incomplete list) can be found here: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/597476

Options
2023-07-18 16:02:34

@Alexandre. 

Cheers Alexandre

Its been a while since I checked on what had and had not been added.

Options
2023-07-19 05:21:16 - last edited 2023-07-20 06:08:22

@FF-Communitymem @Philbert @Alexandre 

Thanks for the quick reply! Is there a way I can check my Hardware Version in the App?
Anyway I think I got the version 3 because my latest FW Update is 1.5.xxx and the app tells me I am on the latest. 
I got them from amazon last month. Can I somehow guarantee that I buy version 4 when I am buying online? And do you think I should send them back to get version 4? 

BR Felix

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 446

Replies: 4

Related Articles