Problem with IoT network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Problem with IoT network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Problem with IoT network
Problem with IoT network
2023-07-22 13:11:37
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello !!

I really like the possibility to have a very own IoT network to isolate any device from the private network.

I only found one issue thought.

I have my own DNS server at home running on a raspberry pi and I configured it as the primary AND secondary DNS with the DHCP settings, like this I'm sure 100% of my network use my own DNS.

The problem is, IoT network got the same DHCP settings than the private network, so as soon as I isolated every device, they are isolated from the only DNS server available and they turn offline.

Is there a way to have a custom DHCP settings for the IoT network?

Thanks !

Options
5 Reply
Re:Problem with IoT network
2023-07-25 09:32:45

@Saku241 

Using the AX55 DHCP server, you can not have separate pools for assigning IP addresses.  It only allows one range as far as I know.

How is the AX55 connected to your ISP's modem/router?  If you are using double NAT and the AX55 is on the ISP's LAN, you could assign your DNS server an address on that LAN which then should be reachable by all of the devices on the AX55 network.

Options
2023-07-25 09:44:12
My ISP modem works as a bridge. And my DNS works in my private network, the problem is, on the IoT network, as soon as I turn on the device isolation for that network, they cannot reach my dns server (192.168.1.2) locally on my private network and it’s normal, it’s because they are isolated. So, is there a way to put a custom DNS for the IoT network like 1.1.1.1 ?
Options
2023-07-25 10:03:00

@Saku241 

With the hardware you have, I can't think of a simple solution.  Something I tried here was to install another router downstream for the IoT devices.  That means double NAT and also opens up a possible security hole as the IoT devices can access the upstream router's network (where your DNS server would be).

Options
2023-07-25 11:23:33 - last edited 2023-07-25 11:24:05

For now the only simple solution I got is to set 192.168.1.2 as primary DNS and 1.1.1.1 as secondary DNS, it works but does that mean, every device on my network will randomly choose the DNS ? Or will it always prioritize the primary dns ?

Options
2023-07-25 12:23:44 - last edited 2023-07-25 12:26:27

@Saku241 

The answer to your question depends on each device. For example, I have 2 IP telephones and I can set the dns queries to be in parallel or sequential. If sequential, one would assume the primary server is checked first.  The same is probably true for most devices.  Your solution should work fine even though there may be a very short delay when the primary server does not respond.

If you want to investigate further, you will probably need to use a packet tracer, such as Wireshark, to see the query order.

Options