Connecting status

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Connecting status

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Connecting status
Connecting status
2023-07-23 01:24:27 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:35:52
Model: TL-ER5120  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20130716 Rel.45532

Can not acquire IP Address from modem.

Don't have internet.

My connection is dynamic

Options
9 Reply
Re:Connecting status
2023-07-24 05:38:24 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:35:31

Hi @Ric04jan72 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Please verify that your ISP is online and available.

Reboot your modem or contact your modem support about this issue.

Swap with different Ethernet cables and try again from your modem.

If you can get your computer working fine, then you can MAC clone the MAC address of your computer to the router WAN port. That should also fix the problem.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-08-09 00:54:09 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:35:31

@Clive_A 

ISP is online and done all the recommended solutions BUT still didn't fixed the issue.

Any other possible Solutions?

Options
2023-08-09 01:22:58 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:35:31

@Ric04jan72 

What kind of modem?  If you are using PPPoE, then you'd have some login credentials provided by your ISP.

Does a laptop connected, instead of the TPLink router, directly to modem get an IP like it should?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-08-09 02:02:42 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:35:31

Hi @Ric04jan72 

Does nothing work on the modem? The last step I suggested was meant to verify if your ISP is working. Because commonly people connect their computer prior to they have a router. So the computer is supposed to work and clone its MAC address is meant to mask and bypass ISP MAC address verification. If you cannot even get a working computer on your ISP line, then that's your ISP problem.

You see @d0ugmac1 also pointed out that. It seems that you should contact your ISP instead. 

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-08-09 02:18:39 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:35:31

@d0ugmac1 

I am not using PPPoE. My connection is Dynamic and no login credentials.
Yes a PC / Laptop directly connected to modem get an IP like it should

Options
2023-08-09 02:28:06 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:35:31

@Clive_A 

No problem with my ISP. My internet cafe is working fine. Only that, it does not have Router. That is why I want this router on my network.

Already  tried to clone some of my PCs MAC Address with internet but the problem still the same.

Current Setup (with Internet)

Modem => Switch => Server and 30 Client PCs

Future Setup (No Internet)

Modem => Router => Server and 30 Client PCs

Options
2023-08-09 02:34:59 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:35:31

Hi @Ric04jan72 

What is the MAC address of the device that previously worked on the modem? Clone that device's MAC address. Not a random one.

I don't think you read and understand what I said earlier.

Contact your ISP and ask to release the MAC address would be an easier way. Your ISP server did not allow another MAC address so you gotta specify your need to them. They release, and you can use a new router.

Or just clone the MAC address of the previously working device. Or you can reset and try again.

If still does not work, the cable is ok, and the WAN port is fine as well, then I bet it is your ISP or modem problem. Something you miss to bring it up to me. And I run out of suggestions.

Options
2023-08-09 12:14:06 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:35:31

@Clive_A 

I fully understand what you said earlier.

Got another PC again today, plugged a network cable directly from modem to this PC and set the NIC to Obtain an IP address automatically. No wifi connection. It is wired.

This PC successfully obtained an IP address of 192.168.1.4 & internet connection with MAC 50-E5-49-53-18-3E. I copied this MAC address to WAN1 of router and save.

After this, I remove the wire connected to PC and put it back to TP-LINK router's WAN1 and restart the router.

Still didn't fix the issue.

Options
2023-08-09 12:19:19 - last edited 2023-11-10 06:35:31

@Ric04jan72 

Your modem already has a built in router, we know that because it's handing out private IPs (ie 192.168.x.x).   One potential issue with this is if the TPlink router's default LAN subnet is ALSO 192.168.1.x/24...then it will get very confused and you would see symptoms like you are.

Assuming you can live with a double-NAT (ie Internet->modem/router->private subnet1->TPlink router->private subnet2) then make sure your TPlink router's IP is both fixed AND set as the DMZ IP on your ISP modem/router.

Ideally, you would put the ISP modem/router into 'bridge' mode so that the 'real' IP being assigned by your ISP is assigned to the WAN port of the TPlink router instead of the modem's internal router.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 564

Replies: 9

Related Articles