DHCP randomly hanging, then drops connections

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-25 19:31:47
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20230613 Rel. 52821

I've been happy with the XE75 thus far.

About every 2 weeks or so, randomly, the router will stop serving IP addresses via DHCP.

This is followed by connections dropping for wireless devices, then wired devices.

I can fix this by either rebooting the router, or going into the app and changing the DHCP start address (from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.99 and then revert back).

Changing the DHCP is faster to get everyone back online quickly.

Looking at the logs, it appears that udhcpd is launching multiple processes.

The log shows "user.warn smartip: [lan] unexpected: count of (udhcpd -f /tmp/udhcpd_lan.conf) is 2."

It then kills the PIDs and restarts them.

This happens every couple of minutes.

Any ideas?

Options
4 Reply
Re:DHCP randomly hanging, then drops connections
2023-07-26 07:23:23

@Ozymandias_EBON 

Hi, thank you very much for the feedback.

As for the offline frequency, how often would the devices usually drop out of Deco? Every two weeks might make it hard to find out something useful in a short time.

Would the disconnection randomly occur to all the devices? and can I have the model numbers of the devices that dropped out more frequently?

Later I would like to follow up on your case via email. We could start with a debug firmware and you could also send me a copy of the system log file from web UI.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-07-26 15:50:27

Hello  @David-TP !

The issue does not occur often... which will make this a little difficult to diagnose.

I have roughly 30-40 clients split between my Main (15-20 clients) and IoT (18 clients).

I have 3 TP-Link Easy-Smart switches running 2 VLANs (Deco Network, Non-Deco Network).

Deco satellites are Ethernet backhaul on Deco Network VLAN.

As for the sequence of events, that is hard to determine prior to devices dropping.

What happened yesterday was this:

My oldest son and I were gaming on 2 different laptops (both wired on Deco Network VLAN). Same game, same server.

Wife was on her Work Laptop (wired on Deco Network VLAN) connected to her work via Cisco VPN Client.

Son's game timed out and he could not reconnect (even after rebooting).  I was still connected and playing.

I jumped on his laptop and it showed that he had an IPv6 address but IPv4 was auto-configured (no DHCP).

I did an "ipconfig /release all" and "ipconfig /renew" and no address was given.

Shortly after, wife reported that she was booted from work VPN and cannot reconnect.

I opened the Deco app on my phone and it only showed 6 clients connected (mostly wired but included my phone).

I went in the the DHCP settings and changed the starting address from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.99 and then reverted back.

Everyone was able to then connect and the client count went back to normal.

NEW INFORMATION:

A couple of hours later everyone got disconnected again.

This time I could not connect via the app so I had to perform a hard reboot via power cycle.

For reference, the Deco's had been powered on and working for well over 2 weeks prior to this.

Again, this seems to be a rare event and happens during heavy use.

As soon as it happens again, I will save the logfile and send it to you.

Options
2023-08-18 13:17:26
This issue just happened again and I confirmed it is the DHCP server portion of the software. I re-configured a laptop to a static IP and the router was still routing traffic. I tried to download the log files but the router web page kept responding "operation timed out". In short, the issue happened again and I have no logs that could really help. Sorry...
Options
2023-08-21 06:38:37 - last edited 2023-08-21 06:40:58

@Ozymandias_EBON I'm not sure if my issue is the same regarding DHCP specifically but in last 4 days or so I have had to reboot 5-6 times my XE75 v1 on firmware 1.2.6 (and also 1.2.7 beta running for 1 day to see if that helped). I been happily running 1.2.6 with no issues for a few weeks. Now it's daily instability with no config changes. The symptoms are that suddenly devices will start dropping off 1 by 1. And a reboot fixes it. Other devices will work for a while but then eventually drop. I also have my logs downloaded. I'll see if I can search the same error. I have downgraded to 1.2.2 to see if this helps me for a bit.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 450

Replies: 4

Related Articles