Deco X50 with my smart home network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-01 08:07:53
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, I currently have an existing router from my internet provider that I currently use to connect my Home Smart devices (bridge & sound system).

I got the Deco X50, but I don't want to generate a new network name and keep the existing network info (network ID, password). This to avoid issues with my smart home devices.

Should I then go to AP mode ? I can then connect my smart home bridge also to the wired deco right ? Will AP mode impact the performance of my mesh network?

I'm aware I'll miss out on some features that are only available if the decos are in router mode (like for example parental control, etc.).

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco X50 with my smart home network
2023-08-02 06:36:23

@Samuel_H 

Hi, AP mode will not impact the Mesh Performance of Deco.

But no matter whether Deco is on AP mode or router mode, its Wi-Fi Network would still be a different wireless network from the main ISP router's. The Mesh roaming is only within Deco Mesh units. But when they are using the same network name and password, it might decrease the roaming time from the original router to Deco.

Have you ever considered replacing the original router with Deco X50, but still keeping the original network SSID and password on Deco?

Or if the ISP router could not be removed, you could turn off its Wi-Fi and set Deco into AP mode as the only wireless network available.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options