Upgrade to TL-MR6400 for numpty user?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-01 14:54:11 - last edited 2023-08-02 10:37:21

Back in spring, I bought a TL-MR6400 to enable me to dispense with a landline/broadband, especially because I spend a large part of the summer touring around the UK and cannot get any benefit from the broadband contract whilst away.  With a suitably-charged SIM I have been able to use the MR6400 to provide WiFi, whether at home or on tour.   However, this basic router is often very slow.  Naturally, there is a limit to the WiFi productivity for a device which is limited by the responsiveness of a 4G data signal (5G is not yet reliable in my home area), but will faster speeds be expected if I upgrade the router to one which will support multiple channels or specification of channel (2.4, 5, 6GHz)?  Whilst there is no useful 5G in my area at present, I want the replacement to be ready for 5G conversion to WiFi for when coverage is available at home or on tour.

I am not up to date with the technicalities of routers, so please excuse the banality of the question.  But can anyone spell out in simple terms what benefits I will derive from upgrading the router, and recommend to which model(s)?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Upgrade to TL-MR6400 for numpty user?-Solution
2023-08-01 18:45:52 - last edited 2023-08-02 10:37:21

@rattlingroger 

Hi,

The download and upload speeds that one is able to achieve with mobile broadband depend largely on the mobile network and it's therefore difficult to make any predictions.

Generally speaking, if you are situated in a metropolitan area, then you would likely be able to get better speeds with a better 4G/5G router.

However, if you are in the countryside, then it could turn out that a better 4G/5G router would not get you any more speed than the TL-MR6400 does.

Anyway, given that your requirements for a new router are 5G support and made by TP-Link, there are currently only two devices to choose from, I believe. The "Deco X50-5G" and the "Deco X80-5G". And with the Deco X80-5G being very expensive it may actually come down to the Deco X50-5G as the only reasonable option.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/deco/deco-x50-5g

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Upgrade to TL-MR6400 for numpty user?-Solution
2023-08-01 18:45:52 - last edited 2023-08-02 10:37:21

@rattlingroger 

Hi,

The download and upload speeds that one is able to achieve with mobile broadband depend largely on the mobile network and it's therefore difficult to make any predictions.

Generally speaking, if you are situated in a metropolitan area, then you would likely be able to get better speeds with a better 4G/5G router.

However, if you are in the countryside, then it could turn out that a better 4G/5G router would not get you any more speed than the TL-MR6400 does.

Anyway, given that your requirements for a new router are 5G support and made by TP-Link, there are currently only two devices to choose from, I believe. The "Deco X50-5G" and the "Deco X80-5G". And with the Deco X80-5G being very expensive it may actually come down to the Deco X50-5G as the only reasonable option.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/deco/deco-x50-5g

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Upgrade to TL-MR6400 for numpty user?
2023-08-02 10:38:29
Many thanks. I do not need to make a decision until the summer is over, and will then investigate again!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 360

Replies: 2

Related Articles