Unable to get internet from open network that requires sign-in

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-03 12:33:55
Model: RE505X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I'm trying to extend wi-fi signal of the open network that requires sign-in (pretty much every hotel I visit is set up as such). 

However, while RE505X seems to be connecting to such network alright there is no way for me to get internet out of it because the sign-in page never shows up on devices connected to the extender network.

Is there a way to get it working?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Unable to get internet from open network that requires sign-in
2023-08-08 06:25:10

@QuietNoise 

Hi, is this open portal authentication Wi-Fi a 2.4GHz or 5GHz network?

Will the related LED light light up on the RE505x when it connects to the portal Wi-Fi?

You could try to open a web browser on the device and search for something, then check whether the sign-in page will show up.

As the Portal authentication methods of public Wi-Fi are not uniform, we haven't done many field tests, It is very likely RE505X might not work with certain portal Wi-Fi networks.

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Options
Re:Unable to get internet from open network that requires sign-in
2023-08-08 11:45:03 - last edited 2023-08-08 11:47:34

Hi, Some networks are 2.4 some 5GHz. Some offer both options under different SSIDs. None of this seems to matter as in every case I try, the result is the same.

Yes, the extender shows up it's connected to host but I try to connect to the extenter network there is no Internet i.e. Windows 11 will show as "Connected, No internet". Whether I connect to extender using WiFi or ethernet cable it doesn't change anything.

When I try to google something I would just get the message in the browser that I'm not connected to the internet. I connect various devices to the extender, Windows laptop, mac laptop, iphone, samsung phones, chromecast, TVs all with same 'no internet' result whenever the host network requires sign-in.

I went through many networks so far and I'm just loosing hope.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 244

Replies: 2

Related Articles