Can't reach clients behind TP Link Archer C6

2023-08-06 17:42:37 - last edited 2023-08-06 17:46:43
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have the following problem, I can not ping from my office network to the wifi subnet of the TP Link router or reach a client:

My PC is in the office network 192.168.1.0/24. The network is for the office and is distributed through a Draytec Vigor 2969 router.

In this network I have a TP Link Archer C6 to give WiFi to my warehouse. This is connected via its WAN port to the network 192.168.1.0/24 and has the WAN IP address 192.168.1.154 in the office network.

The Archer C6 distributes its own subnet with its DHCP server to the clients in the warehouse which is 192.168.5.0/24.

On the Draytec router is a static route to the network:

Destination IP Address: 192.168.5.0

Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway IP Address: 192.168.1.154 (WAN IP of the TP Link Archer C6).

From the 192.268.5.0/24 network I can ping into the office network and reach clients. This means that the route is also set in the TP Link router. And I Checked this.

But why can't I reach any client in the network 192.168.5.0/24 from the 192.168.1.0/24 ?

I can't even ping the gateway 192.168.5.1, although I have set the security settings on the Archer c6 to accept pings on the WAN port.

Since the clients in the warehouse in the 192.168.5.0/24 network also can browse the Internet I assume that the traffic from the Draytec router can also be routed to the TP Link router and arrives there.

How can I check what blocks the traffic from the office network to the clients in the warehouse network ?

I want to manage these clients through a Ansible server which is located on a Synology on the network 192.168.1.0/24

Options
10 Reply
Re:Can't reach clients behind TP Link Archer C6
2023-08-06 18:33:18

the router is running in Router Mode because with Access Point Mode I can't use Mesh Network and we have 5 Repeater working as a mesh withe the Archer c6.

Does this have something to do with double NAT ? I know Access Point would avoid this but then I don't have mesh.

Options
2023-08-06 21:50:25 - last edited 2023-08-06 21:51:50

@h-maulwurf 

As you already guessed the problem is caused by the Archer C6 NAT - details.

Use this guide - Case 2 to configure Archer C6 in AP mode without changing its operation mode and check if you still can use its mesh capabilities.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-08-09 09:01:17 - last edited 2023-08-09 15:28:04

@terziyski hi and thank you very much. I did the change today and had the following problem.

When I disconnected the WAN Port and connected the router with the LAN Port and gave it a LAN IP, everything worked perfect like the guide says.

My Laptop and other Computer with Wifi could connect to the Wifi and had the office ip.

BUT

all mobile Devices failed to connect to the internet. I mean the could connect to the Wifi and get an IP , DNS, Gateway etc (from the office nentwork)..., but they got the message that they are connected without internet, what caused the problem, that I couldn't browse the internet on mobile devices.

I think it's because the WAN Port is disconnected and the Archer C6 is giving the mobile devices the information that they are succesfully connected but the router has no internet, even if it gets the internet from the office router.

Laptops seems to ignore these message and can use the internet, but mobile devices like our Samsung A53 or our Samsung A7 Tablets can't browse the internet even if the have a valid IP Adress, DNS, Gateway, Subnet.

I don't know how to solve this problem.

Options
2023-08-09 11:51:42

@h-maulwurf 

There's an IP address issue as seen from your last screenshot.

Your office subnet is 192.168.1.0/24, but on the last screenshot the router is with IP address 192.168.0.1 (different subnet).

Double-check your router and the 5 REs configuration. After re-configuration all these should be in the same subnet - 192.168.1.0/24.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-08-09 15:26:45 - last edited 2023-08-09 15:29:38

@terziyski 

Hello, here I must apologize, I had taken the screenshot when I reset everything back to working status,

so I could take a screenshot of what message I received when I connected the router correctly via LAN.

So I got these WAN Error message when logging in to webinterface after changing the router to LAN Connection withouth DHCP like the guide said.

I have corrected the screenshot.

Anyway, I checked everything after the change. Laptops and smartphones each had IP, subnet, gateway and DNS from the router 192.168.1.1 from the office network 192.168.1.0/24, only that the laptops and PCs came to the Internet and the smartphones did not.

They were connected to the wifi but just couldn't get on the internet despite having the correct IP.

I didn't understand this and put it down to the fact that maybe the smartphones can't get on the Internet because they are told there isn't one because the WAN port is no longer plugged in, while the laptops ignore this.

I have the exact same router at home, so I can always post it here.

Firmware is uptodate and I have rebooted all devices several times after the change.

The repeaters I have omitted for now to exclude sources of error.

Options
2023-08-10 09:36:55 - last edited 2023-08-10 09:42:46

@h-maulwurf 

That's really odd. Your laptop, mobile or tablet doesn't know that the Archer C6 WAN port is unplugged.

So there's no way a laptop to ignore this knowledge but a mobile or tablet to acknowledge it.

If the mobile or tablet have received a valid and unique IP address in 192.168.1.0/24, their GW and DNS is 192.168.1.1 (your main router) they should behave like the laptop.

Compare the GW and DNS on laptop, mobiles and tablets - they should be the same on all devices.

Options
2023-08-14 11:51:33

@h-maulwurf Good Morning.

I did the exact same set up now at my home and no device had an error, even the mobile devices are working perfectly. So it does work.

So the next thing I'll do is to repeat my steps in my company on a day when not every 20sec someone asks me why the wifi is not working :-)

Options
2024-02-07 14:33:24

Hi, I have EXACTLY the same problem.

Everything works just fine, but I noticed, as soon as I use the repeater I have problem and can't use the internet anymore.

With only the router, no problem at all, I can access the network and I am in the same subnet.

But when I connect the repeater and my laptop is using the repeater mesh, I have huge connections problems nad the internet is not available.

Why ?

Options
2024-05-16 09:14:50

@terziyski I have exa tly the same issue at home with my ax55 and 2 ax 58 (it states on the box they're easymesh enabled but I don't think so, as they are version 1 not version 2). Also when it does work they're very unstable and drop out also although the easymesh sees the tether doesn't recognise them and I cannot get into their config). I connected via wps key and if I use ethernet cable I lose Internet.

Options
2024-05-16 11:36:49

@Trevsmith 

If you mean ethernet backhaul for AX58 - only HW v2 supports that - here's a list of supported devices.

If your AX58 is HW v1 you should use wireless backhaul (don't use ethernet cables to connect AX58).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1595

Replies: 10

Related Articles