Mixing Multiple Deco Products

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-07 08:57:14
Model: Deco X90   Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have 4 Deco products - 2 X20s and 2 X90s. 

As I had the X20s first, one of the X20 is the Primary one and the other 3 are secondary connections. 

My modem speed as well as speed from the primary is 950 mb/s which is the internet plan I have signed up for from my broadband provider but the speed dramatically drops from the other Deco models even if they are connected via ethernet.

WiFi speed - Ranges from 150 - 200 mb/s

If I connect an ethernet port to the second port of the X90 or X20 (other than the main), the speed is limited to only 80 - 90 mb/s

I have tried switching the Main to the X90 assuming that as X20 is the older version so maybe making the X90 as primary would help but there was no change.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Mixing Multiple Deco Products
2023-08-08 10:58:59

@hari30 

Hi, Welcome to the community.

I think your current issue might be a little like this post:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/617382

Can I have a picture of how the Deco units are linked together, such as:

ISP--main Deco X90---satellite X90---satellite x20#1---satellite x20#2

Or would there be any network switch to extend the Ethernet connection?

Have you checked whether all the 3 satellite Deco units had the same issue?

Please also test with some new Ethernet cables in case the cable itself is aging.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Mixing Multiple Deco Products
2023-08-09 07:48:32

Hi David,

I think I had figured out the original problem because I was using a network switch and that was limiting the speed to 100 mb/s. I changed that out for a 1000 mb/s and now, the speeds have improved but I face a different issue.

I was reading more and it seems that there is no way to connect all satellite Decos via Ethernet to the network switch to increase speeds for each Deco to be touching 900 mb/s instead of some giving 300 or 400 depending on their distance from the main deco.

My current structure is::

Internet --> Modem --> one port to Main Deco 

Internet --> Modem --> second port to Network Switch --> Separate connections for all satellite Decos.

From what I was reading, this format doesn't work because it causes a "network loop" which I'm not sure what it means.

The goal for me is to boost each satelite decos connection to maximum possible without having to connect the satelite decos via ethernet to the main deco.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 263

Replies: 2

Related Articles