Blacklist does not successfully block a device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-08 09:50:31 - last edited 2023-08-08 12:56:52
Tags: #Access Control
Model: Archer VR900  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 0.2.0 0.9.1 v0069.0 Build 170303 Rel.59897n

I am attempting to block a device that I cannot identify but the 'Blacklist' option does not seem to work.  I added the device to the 'Blacklist', clicked 'Save' and rebooted the router but the device still connected.

I tried adding the device to the 'Blacklist' both by;

• manually copying the 'Device Name' and 'MAC Address' from the 'Online Devices' list into the 'Blacklist' and also by
  • selecting the device and clicking on the 'Block' option.

Interestingly, the two methods resulted in different names for the device being added but neither worked.    The device shows up as 'TABLET-06O4V8PO' in the 'Online Devices' view, but when it is selected and the 'Block' option clicked, it is added to the Blacklist as 'TABLET-06O4_ACL'.

Another confusing thing is that I can see the device in question when logged in to the router on my pc (in both Basic and Advanced views) but the Tether App does not show it.
UPDATE: further usage suggests that the Tether App is rather unreliable when it comes to reporting all connected devices.  I will ignore this aspect.

I will change the WiFi password, but I do wonder why Blacklist doesn't work.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Blacklist does not successfully block a device
2023-08-08 13:58:42 - last edited 2023-08-08 17:20:50

@Scroot 

Go through this FAQ and check if that's the case for your issue.

Try configuring the Access Control through the WebGUI of the modem.

There's a newer FW release for your modem - check here.

Download and upgrade its FW manually before testing again.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-08-08 14:46:57

@terziyski 

Thanks for you input.   Unfortunately none of those cases apply to me.

Options
2023-08-14 10:52:23

@Scroot 

Hi, after you add the device into the blacklist, if it is still listed on the online client list, please check if the MAC address is still the same on online client list and also blacklist.

Most wireless client devices support private address or random MAC address, thus the mac address will be virtual and changes frequently.

To protect your network and improve the security, you could consider using access control whitelist and add your own devices into the list only.

Note: please make sure your devices are not using a random MAC address, or they might not connect when the MAC address changes.

Options
2023-08-14 12:02:58

@Sunshine 

Hi,

Thanks for your response.   I did wonder about randomised MAC addresses.   In this case the MAC address in the blacklist is definitely the same as the one that is successfully connecting.   It's a real puzzle because I have successfully used the blacklist feature before.

I must admit that I have stopped attempting to block the MAC in question as I have now found out that it is one of our family's devices - so panic over!  :-)

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 606

Replies: 4

Tags

Access Control
Related Articles