Ewelink / Sonoff devices not pairing for home automation using Deco S7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-14 22:16:31
Model: Deco S7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 Build 20230324 Rel. 50892

Hi,

I'm opening a new thread about this topic for the new Deco S7, which is having the same problems.

Sonoff devices must have an only 2.4 Ghz network to sync, disabling 5Ghz / FastRoaming / Beamforming won't have any influence at all.

Testing with a RB2011 I had laying around, I was able to make the sonoff device sync, but after turning on the Deco signal it wouldn't work, no matter what changes I did to the encryption or IEEE standard. It clearly had nothing to do with it.

Finally, I tried to generate a hotspot with a more recent smartphone and sync with it, surprisingly after turning on the Deco signal it synced perfectly, like @ScreenName12345 said in the Deco M4 thread, even having combined SSID and Beamforming, like default.

So if anyone is banging their heads around this, try this solution.

It would be really nice if TP-Link investigated this issue.

The sonoff device used is an old SONOFF 4CH Rev2 (2.4G 802.11 B/G/N).

Regards.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Ewelink / Sonoff devices not pairing for home automation using Deco S7
2023-08-15 07:03:52

@Tami40 

Hi, Did you use the same Wifi SSID and password on the mobile hotspot as the 2.4Ghz of Deco S7?

When I chekced the Pairing Guide To SONOFF Smart Devices And EWeLink APP, I noticed they mentioned that "

• Your Phone and Sonoff must use the same WiFi internet connection during pairing, once paired then you can use any internet connection such as WiFi / Mobile Data Network to control your Sonoff device."

It seemed like changing the networks will not interrupt the previous paired status. 

I happen to see an old post-https://hometechtime.com/cant-pair-or-connect-to-sonoff-device-via-ewelink-app/. It mentioned a problem with the paring process if the 2.4ghz of the router is on 802.11n only. So I wonder maybe you could help me run a similar test on your wireless laptop to check the current wireless standard of 2.4Ghz on Deco S7:

such as-How to check wifi networking standard of current connection

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Ewelink / Sonoff devices not pairing for home automation using Deco S7
2023-08-15 12:01:30

@David-TP 

Hi, David:

Q: "Did you use the same Wifi SSID and password on the mobile hotspot as the 2.4Ghz of Deco S7?")

A: Yes, both SSID and password was the same. Password encryption WPA2 in both cases. 

Q: It seemed like changing the networks will not interrupt the previous paired status. 

A: Yes, indeed. What that part of the document say is that to be able to sync sonoff with Ewelink servers, you need to have the smartphone (App) and sonoff device on the same network 2.4G for syncing. Once that sync process is completed, you can connect to other networks and be able to control it through the App (ewelink servers). New Sonoff devices have multiple sync methods (Fast Sync / Hotspot Sync / Noise Sync), but the version I have is an old one, which only offer Fast Sync, so there is no Hotspot generated by the device to connect to.)

Q: It mentioned a problem with the paring process if the 2.4ghz of the router is on 802.11n only.

A: I haven't been able to replicate that pairing problem on my part, like I said I configured an RB2011 as a wireless access point, with the 802.11 IEEE standards: B / onlyG / BG / onlyN / BGN / GN. In every one of them I was able to pair the sonoff device (BGN).

Q: So I wonder maybe you could help me run a similar test on your wireless laptop to check the current wireless standard of 2.4Ghz on Deco S7

A: Yes, my laptop has a 2.4G card, it always connects through 802.11n standard, but my laptop has nothing to do with the pairing of sonoff which is made through app, so I run WiFiAnalayzer on Android and made sure in fact I am connecting through 802.11n standard too.

Like I said I had problems working with the RB2011 (Sonoff pairs correctly but it didn't connect with Deco S7), so I decided to use an UAP-AC-Lite. With this one I was able to replicate the process used with the Smartphone as Hotspot way of sync (later the sonoff connects perfectly to Deco S7) . I will detail the data from WiFiAnalayzer, also take into account this was made with primary Deco only, second one is disconnected:

Deco S7 UAP AC Lite
DECO S7ieee UAP-AC-LITE

Both test had same SSID, same Password, same password encryption WPA2 (only), and same bandwidths (40Mhz for 2.4G and 80Mhz for 5G)

Both connections wre made through the smartphone under 2.4G network and 802.11n standard (the current connection is the highlighted one).

Results:

• Deco S7:  Sonoff device unable to sync with Ewelink servers.
  • UAP AC Lite: Sonoff device is able to sync without problems.

Options