Do the LAN ports of the satellite unit work when using the wired backhaul functionality?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Do the LAN ports of the satellite unit work when using the wired backhaul functionality?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-18 12:25:56 - last edited 2023-08-21 18:15:34
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.13.1 Build 230609 Rel.32076n(5553)

Hi community!

I have an Archer C80 v1 (US) and I´m planning to get 3-4 additional units to work as satellites. All satellites will be connected to the main router via LAN (and possibly an unmanaged switch in between so I don´t run out of ports in my main unit). It´s a pretty big house, 2 floors and thick concrete walls. In most rooms where the satellites will be placed I have devices which I would prefer to connect using LAN instead of WLAN.

Does anyone has any thoughts about this or any experience in real life?

And as a bonus does anyone knows if the clients connected via WLAN trough the satellites will show in the clients list as LAN or WLAN connected?

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Do the LAN ports of the satellite unit work when using the wired backhaul functionality?-Solution
2023-08-18 18:12:33 - last edited 2023-08-21 18:15:34

@Archundias 

Hi,

The clients that are connected via the satellite router will be shown with the same details as the clients connected to the main router. The screenshots below were taken of an EasyMesh setup of two Archer C64, which use the same firmware as your C80 V1. 

How these routers would perform in an environment like yours with so many devices connected I don't know. The routers of this series, like the C80, C6 V4/A6 V4, C64/A64, A8, C86 can't be considered high-performance devices.

Oh, yes, the LAN ports of the satellite router work fine when using wired backhaul. 

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:Do the LAN ports of the satellite unit work when using the wired backhaul functionality?-Solution
2023-08-18 18:12:33 - last edited 2023-08-21 18:15:34

@Archundias 

Hi,

The clients that are connected via the satellite router will be shown with the same details as the clients connected to the main router. The screenshots below were taken of an EasyMesh setup of two Archer C64, which use the same firmware as your C80 V1. 

How these routers would perform in an environment like yours with so many devices connected I don't know. The routers of this series, like the C80, C6 V4/A6 V4, C64/A64, A8, C86 can't be considered high-performance devices.

Oh, yes, the LAN ports of the satellite router work fine when using wired backhaul. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Do the LAN ports of the satellite unit work when using the wired backhaul functionality?
2023-08-19 21:55:24
Great! Thanks for your reply and detailed explanation. I just ordered 2 additional C80s. I´ll see how it performs and maybe I´ll be adding another one. Appreciate you taking the time to give such an amazing reply. Thanks!
Options
Re:Do the LAN ports of the satellite unit work when using the wired backhaul functionality?
2023-08-22 08:59:48 - last edited 2023-08-22 09:01:02

@Archundias  I have two C80 at home as of now configured in easymesh via eth. backhaul and it works perfect for last 3CWs , just ordered 3rd to extend the coverage even more.. 

I got myself tricked to eth backhaul and easymesh support on tp-links claims to support easymesh - but dont get tricked - most of the devices has a mark "planned" which means that the feature is planned in future, but with no guarantee - on my side translated: "most of the devices dont get it ever". After I realized my freshly installed AX73s waits for such fw for more than 15months I returned my freshly bought pair of AX73(s) and I bought cheap pair of C80 which does not have wifi6, but it supports easymesh and eth. backhaul already - for my purpose it is good enough (not to mention it is 3 times cheaper per device).

From wifi6 range - AX72 got the support recently - if you need wifi6 .. try AX72 (not pro version probably)

check this thread:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/593722

Options
2023-08-22 12:30:52
Thanks man for your suggestions! I didn´t want to spend too much since WIFI 7 and multigigabit ethernet is around the corner... C80 seems to be the right choice for now. I was using the router and 3 satellites from the ISP and one C80 is providing pretty much the same coverage. I´ll be adding 2 additional C80s as satellites which should be more than enough to cover the entire house. I have a 500 Mb simetric connection and this router is more than capable to handle those speeds.
Options
2023-08-24 19:10:59

@Czmazel Just added my satellite and via ethernet looks like I´m capped to 100 Mb when my internet connection is 500 Mb. Connecting directly to the C80 acting as router I get higher speeds both via WIFI and ethernet. One thing I noticed though is that my satellite does not get the latest firmware. I was able to update it to 1.12.10 Build 230208 Rel.38878n(5553) instead of 1.13.1 Build 230609 Rel.32076n(5553) that I got in my main router. 

Do you get full speeds on your satellites?

Options
2023-08-24 19:26:18

@Archundias just got new expansion unit, it refused to get 1.13.x too .. i believe it is due to bugs found check here: (new FW is comming this week)

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/615066?replyId=1242704

I updated mine manually, but I expect udate later on.

If in doubts, start new thread with your concern (in fact it is of my interrest too .. )

did not tried the speed yet. Not at home now.

Options
2023-08-24 19:30:03
Huh .. just from top of my head .. wifi speed on my phone in a room with satelite dev was ~300Mb/s so .. it was over 100 .. but eth.. cant say
Options
2023-08-25 12:41:05

@Czmazel on eth i have 300Mb/s + too maybe check the port modes .. maybe instead auto negotiation set 1000Mb/s full duplex right away ... I have auto and it is fine .. isnt your NIC 100Mb/s only?

Options
2023-08-25 14:24:45

@Czmazel Thanks for your suggestions! Did some tests early in the morning and ended up manually upgrading the firmware in my satellite. Now both with the same firmware version... On WIFI I tried 2 laptops (both connected to 5Ghz) and my phone (it will only connect to 2.4Ghz) and they all go up to 95 Mbps.

On ethernet... I think I´ve found a defective cable, which of course, is the longest and most complicated to replace as it goes through the walls. For some reason it was slowing down the rest of my ethernet cables despite all ports were showing as full duplex 1000 Mbps. Now that cable is unplugged and ethernet works as expected.

I´ll be doing some tests with my wife´s Iphone later today and see what results I get. 

Thank you!

Options
2023-08-25 15:09:48 - last edited 2023-08-25 15:14:05

@Archundias 

I'm not using the same router as you but what I am using are 

Ax72 as main router and 2 c6 routers as access points hard wired into the WLAN socket leaving the lan sockets free. 

1 in my man cave that I have 2 tp link cameras hard wired to down the bottom of my garden that are working and showing that they are hard wired. 

And the other c6 at the very end of my house where the WiFi just can't get to as its 2 floors away and a number of floors and brick walls in the way. 

Unless the model you plan to use don't support it then I'm sure they should work in that manner 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1147

Replies: 12

Related Articles