Archer VR600 in bridge mode not forwarding incoming traffic?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-18 13:10:06 - last edited 2023-08-22 17:53:10
Tags: #Port Forwarding #Bridge Mode
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 0.9.1 v009e.0 Build 220518 Rel.43816n

Hi I am using the VR600 as my modem and set it in bridge mode to pass traffic back and forth to a Ubiquiti dream machine which is routing traffic among my devices.

The Ubiquiti gets an IP address from the TP-Link and provides DHCP to all connected devices.

Outbound communication is working fine, but I am not able to make an inbound port forwarding rule work. I am not certain but believe I may have missed something in setting the TP-Link in bridge mode.

My setup process:

- Admin console Advanced tab, Operation Mode = DSL Modem Router Mode

- Advanced / Network / Internet: only one interface, named br_ptm_0_0:

- DSL Modulation Type: VDSL

- VLAN ID: N/A

- Internet Connection Type: Bridge

Shows status Connected

What looks strange to me:

1. On the Advanced / Status page, the Internet panel shows interface name, MAC address, and Connection Type = Bridge, but IP Address is blank.

2. Under System Tools / Diagnostics I ran the test and it reports: 

Test xDSL Synchronization: Pass

Test WAN Connection:  Fail

I don't know what that means and whether it's relevant.

The problem manifests in that when I try to access the TP-Link's external IP (as reported by whatismyipaddress.com) with a port that is set to be forwarded by the Ubiquiti, it times out. If I access that port at the address that TP-Link is assigning to Ubiquiti (from within the network) it works - gets routed to the correct device, gets successful response.

Can someone help validate my bridge mode setup?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer VR600 in bridge mode not forwarding incoming traffic?-Solution
2023-08-20 13:49:51 - last edited 2023-08-22 17:53:10

@mjsam 

That means you're behind CG-NAT. There's nothing you can do about it, except contact your ISP and ask them if you can receive a public IP address on your device.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Archer VR600 in bridge mode not forwarding incoming traffic?
2023-08-20 10:54:03

@mjsam 

Your bridge configuration seems fine - check this post.

Make sure that the IP address assigned by the VR600 to Ubiquiti is a public IP address, i.e. if it's a private IP address port forwarding in Ubiquiti won't work.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-08-20 13:14:57

@terziyski Thank you for the reply and suggestion. Your earlier post is exactly what I followed to get this far.

Your current suggestion makes sense, but I don't know how to accomplish it. I don't have a static IP from my ISP, it may change occasionally, so I would think that there would be a way to tell the VR600 to pass along the same public IP address to the Ubiquiti, but I could not find it.

Do I need to go in manually each time I get a new IP address and tell the VR600 to assign it to the Ubiquiti? If so, where do I do that?

Options
2023-08-20 13:32:12

@mjsam 

When VR600 is configured in bridge mode it will automatically relay your ISP given IP address to the device behind it - Ubiquiti WAN port.

You public IP address could be either static or dynamic. But the important here is - does Ubiquiti WAN port receive your public IP address or a private IP address.

Private IP addresses are within the following ranges:

• Range from 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255 — a 10.0.0.0 network with a 255.0.0.0 or /8 (an 8-bit) mask
  • Range from 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 — a 172.16.0.0 network with a 255.240.0.0 or /12
  • A 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 range, which is a 192.168.0.0 network masked by 255.255.0.0 or /16
  • A special range 100.64.0.0 to 100.127.255.255 with a 255.192.0.0 or /10 network mask; this subnet is recommended according to rfc6598 for use as an address pool for CGN (Carrier-Grade NAT)

The easiest way to check if your public IP address is relayed to the Ubiquiti WAN port is to type "what's my ip address" in Google.

Then compare this IP address with the IP address on the Ubiquiti WAN port - if they are not the same then that's the problem with port forwarding.

Options
2023-08-20 13:38:30

Yes, you are exactly right,  @terziyski - but I don't know what to do about it.

I confirm that the IP address being assigned by the VR600 to Ubiquiti is totally different from the one the router is getting from the telco - but I don't know what I can do to fix that.

Options
2023-08-20 13:42:20

For what it's worth, the address Ubiquiti is getting is 100.76.250.24, so fits the fourth category you suggested.

Options
Re:Archer VR600 in bridge mode not forwarding incoming traffic?-Solution
2023-08-20 13:49:51 - last edited 2023-08-22 17:53:10

@mjsam 

That means you're behind CG-NAT. There's nothing you can do about it, except contact your ISP and ask them if you can receive a public IP address on your device.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-20 14:25:06

@terziyski I am not convinced that that's correct. Let me clarify what I wrote below:

The address that the TP-Link is getting from the ISP is 147.235.200.91. This I believe is a normal public IP address.

The TP-Link should forward this address to the Ubiquiti which is serving as router, but instead the TP-Link is giving the Ubiquiti 100.76.250.24. I assume that this is because of some misconfiguration that I made in the TP-Link.

Also, before I switched to this equipment I had an ancient Netgear router/modem which was on this line in bridge mode, talking to a Google Wifi system, and this worked stably for years. So I do not think that the ISP is suddenly giving me an IP address which prevents bridge mode; I'm fairly sure there's some TP-link setting that I messed up.

Your instructions in the 2021 thread show multiple configured internet connections. I am only able to create one at a time. Could the problem possibly be there? 

Options
2023-08-20 14:43:00 - last edited 2023-08-20 14:55:54

@mjsam 

Now I get what you've meant earlier. Thre's no more settings, when you configure VR600 in bridge mode, to go wrong with:

It's as simple as that. The other internet connections that you see in my screenshot (from 2021) are just for demo purposes.

I can't tell why's that happening in your case and probably is best to contact your ISP and ask for assistance.

I'm using the same type of connection (bridge) with my ISP and I'm getting my public IP on the WAN port of the device behind.

Options
2023-08-22 17:56:51

I'm coming back here just to say that I've confirmed that this issue is caused by CGNAT, and I was misunderstanding what I thought was the modem's IP address. In fact, when in bridge mode, the modem does not have a separate IP address. The address reported by whatismyipaddress.com reflects the ISP's public-facing IP which is shared across many subscribers via CGNAT.

I borrowed a friend's ISP account (different ISP) and set those credentials in my router. As soon as I did, this issue was resolved.

Thanks again for the help!

Options
2023-08-24 01:52:53

@mjsam 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 713

Replies: 10

Tags

Port Forwarding
Bridge Mode
Related Articles