WDS doesn't work wirelessly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-20 09:29:06 - last edited 2023-08-20 09:32:17
Tags: #WDS
Model: TD-W8961N  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

First, I note down my primary wifi 2.4ghz SSID, PASSWORD AND MAC Address on paper.

For Tp link modem, I used official support page to update firmware successfully.

Here are my troubleshooting steps:

1. I plugged in TP link router and reset it first

2. I changed the Wi-Fi (SSID) name and left the other settings default, Bridge mode is set by default

3. I changed SSID and set password and Save settings.

Router ssid and password screen SSID, Pwd screen

4. Then, I opened LAN settings and changed IP address to 192.168.1.2 and disabled DHCP settings, then Save it.

5. I logged in after IP changed successfully. Then turned on WDS settings where I use (1) primary modem password and select AES in option and (2) MAC address which I noted before setting this up

WAN settings page

6. I pressed SAVE button which restarted the modem.

7. Now, Issue arises, I was able to fill password and connect but my device stuck on 'Connecting....' loader and restart connecting.

I used this modem roughly 6-8 days. Since then, it's packed in original box.

I just want to know will it work or I've wasted my money on original product?

Even none of any tutorial has Orange User interface.

Options
4 Reply
Re:WDS doesn't work wirelessly
2023-08-20 10:45:02 - last edited 2023-08-21 12:00:10

@jutti 

TD-W8961N HW v1 is pretty old device, its latest FW release is from 2014 - hence the orange UI.

Check this guide for for using WDS in TD-W8961N to connect with another TD-W8961N.

I'm afraid you may not be able to configure WDS in your TD-W8961N to connect to your main modem/router SSID.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-08-21 05:07:53 - last edited 2023-08-21 05:11:19

Hello, thanks for reply. I read that guide but didn't understood which is primary or which one is secondary. I read another community post of this website where a guy clarified same router person how to do it. Even he said that it may incompatible. Then in similar and another post, op had fixed the problem after updating the firmware of primary modem which I can't do (ISP hide some option in interface and he's using same to link routers in 2016). In that case, my 1500 INR went in vain. Isnot it possible for your team to update some features in firmware as you know there will be more guys like me having same issue. I remember when I bought 1 tower tp link router, it had green UI but that's not suitable with my needs which I exchanged with twin tower antenna, but didn't know that's a downgraded ui. Is it possible for tp link team to take it back as it won't be useful for me and will stay in the box for the eternity.

Options
2023-08-21 05:11:55
I got that in 2016 and didn't use after a week
Options
2023-08-21 06:54:45

@jutti 

In the guide I posted is pretty much clear which one of the devices is primary (main) and a secondary (slave) - 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 accordingly.

TBH, I doubt that a new FW release would be issued by TP-Link for TD-W8961N HW v1. In my opinion the best option to utilize the device would be to use it as an AP.

If you need a device which should connect wirelessly to your main modem/router there are more suitable options like TL-WR841N, Archers C24, C54 with their RE mode.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 487

Replies: 4

Tags

WDS
Related Articles