Connecting an existing Deco network to a new VM Hub

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-31 18:13:32
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have had a Deco M4R Home Network connected to my Virgin Media Hub3 in Modem mode for 18 months or so running well with no problems. Virgin have now sent me their new Hub 5 and after I posted a question on their Community pages I got helpful instructions on how to connect my existing Deco network to the new Hub. However, I am not clear what I have to do with the Deco system as the instruction is:

Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)

An explanation of what I have to do with the Deco network would be much appreciated and will this mean that I have to set up a new network?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Connecting an existing Deco network to a new VM Hub
2023-09-01 03:39:55

@RobinsonCrusoe 

Hi, welcome to the community.

You can connect the main M5 via an Ethernet cable to the new Hub 5 and check the following configurations on the Deco:

1. Wireless Router is selected on the Deco APP>More>Advanced>Operation Mode.

2. Dynamic IP is selected on the Deco APP>More>Internet Connetion>IPV4>Internet connection Type.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Connecting an existing Deco network to a new VM Hub
2023-09-01 21:34:15

@David-TP - thanks, however, I'm still a bit confused. I already tried connecting my M4 network to my new VM5 Hub and it didn't work. Yo say to check the configurations on the Deco App (which I didn't do at the time) but wouldn't they just be the same as when connected to the VM3 Hub? The advice from the Virgin Media Community was to:

“Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP (for some routers or mesh this may have to be done in router mode before entering modem mode)”

I don't know to "fully initialise" my router.

Of course, I maybe missing something completely so further advice much appreciated. 

Options