All Deco DSLs incompatible with Zscaler

2023-09-01 21:08:49 - last edited 2023-09-08 07:27:18
Model: Deco X73-DSL  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.09

I've managed to prove that the Deco X73 DSL doesn't work with Zscaler, which is a serious problem given that many companies use Zscaler.

As soon as you put it into AP mode, and use the ISP modem for DSL access, everything is fine.

I see the same problem mentioned here with the X20 DSL and the X50 DSL, but no response from TP-Link. I'm waiting for support to come back to me, but my concern is that this issue seems to go back years. Has anyone been able to find a solution to this?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:All Deco DSLs incompatible with Zscaler-Solution
2023-09-02 10:58:51 - last edited 2023-09-08 07:27:21

Hi  @BenGinders 

That's interesting and as you say, counter intuitive. I'm not really supposed to install software on my work laptop, but I have admin rights and it sounds like that may be worth trying.

Out of interest, what version of Zscaler client are you using? On another thread someone suggested that v4 solves it?

I still can't believe that Tp-Link can't find a solution, given that other DSL models don't have the problem. I have a support ticket with them, which is quite frustrating as I keep being asked to update firmware, even though I've told them multiple times that I'm on the latest version...

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-09-05 05:50:06 - last edited 2023-10-25 03:26:15

@SimonGA 

Hi, Simon, for the issue with Zscaler VPN service, there is a beta firmware for Deco X73-DSL which might help fix the current issue.

If you are interested, please install the following firmware and let me know whether it works or not:

Deco X73-DSL_V1_1.0.5

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
25 Reply
Re:All Deco DSLs incompatible with Zscaler
2023-09-01 21:13:39

Hey @SimonGA,

This happend with my X73-DSL and still continues now I use the XE75 Pro Deco's.

The only way I can improve it is by connecting using the Cisco VPN client as well as Zscaler, which seems counter intuitive with expecting a VPN to slow network traffic.

With Zscaler I get 2-6mbps Upload, when using VPN + Zscaler I get 400-800mbps Upload

Options
2023-09-02 10:58:51 - last edited 2023-09-08 07:27:21

Hi  @BenGinders 

That's interesting and as you say, counter intuitive. I'm not really supposed to install software on my work laptop, but I have admin rights and it sounds like that may be worth trying.

Out of interest, what version of Zscaler client are you using? On another thread someone suggested that v4 solves it?

I still can't believe that Tp-Link can't find a solution, given that other DSL models don't have the problem. I have a support ticket with them, which is quite frustrating as I keep being asked to update firmware, even though I've told them multiple times that I'm on the latest version...

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-09-05 05:50:06 - last edited 2023-10-25 03:26:15

@SimonGA 

Hi, Simon, for the issue with Zscaler VPN service, there is a beta firmware for Deco X73-DSL which might help fix the current issue.

If you are interested, please install the following firmware and let me know whether it works or not:

Deco X73-DSL_V1_1.0.5

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-09-05 07:36:16

Hi @David-TP 

That's very interesting thanks.  I'm not sure what you mean by "please refer to the message box "?

Options
2023-09-05 08:12:20

@SimonGA 

Hi, you could find it here:

Options
2023-09-05 13:25:06

For anyone interested, the Firmware David has suppied seems (Fingers crossed) to have solved my problems.  Previosly sites protected by SSO on my work laptop were just unusable, now they work perfectly.  I even have Homeshield enabled without any problems.

Hopefully whatever this fix is will make it into the default firmware, which will save many frustrating hours for people in future....

Options
2023-10-18 10:36:55

@David-TP I have the same zscaler issue on my X73-DSL - the link takes me to "Pre-Released 1.3.1 Firmware for Deco X50/X55" will this also work on the X73 or is there another pre-release firmware for it?

Options
2023-10-18 12:42:49

@dandyfop My X73 is on v 1.0.5 firmware and I think that must be the version that David gave me. When I saw a new firmware for the X73 had been released I assumed the fix would be included so I upgraded, but the problems came back (at least to some extent). So my guess is that we need to stay on the old v1.0.5.

Options
2023-10-20 16:13:21

@SimonGA thanks for letting me know - decided to send mine back as it's a deal breaker and no idea when / if it might be fixed.

A shame really as it seems like a good bit of hardware, just a little too locked down with the firewall though - would be nice to see some advanced options made visible so it could be turned off which might mitigate this kind of hidden issue.

Options
2023-10-20 19:07:02

@dandyfop Yes I understand - although mine works perfectly with the firmware provided. It's a good system but it's frustrating that Tp-Link treat this issue as something they don't need to fix in the mainstream firmware releases. It tempts me to speculate that it's a fault with the design which is why Tp-Link don't want to release details of the problem. Or maybe the "fix" is disabling some basic security functionality and my network is open?? Hopefully not, but the secrecy is at least suspicious.

Without knowing what the issue is, I'm not sure how much any more advanced option would help. But I understand you giving up with Deco's altogether. Some of the mesh systems are even more locked down than these so I'll stick with them for the time being.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1820

Replies: 25

Related Articles