Deco X50 blocks the upload for Zscaler
Deco X50 blocks the upload for Zscaler
2022-07-16 11:35:03 - last edited 2023-10-25 03:29:05
Tags: #Feature Request #HomeShield switch off
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Deco X50(EU)_V1_1.0.8_20220407

Hello

I have recently bought Tp-link Deco X50 and somehow in router mode the router blocks all upload traffic, while connected through Zscaler VPN (required for work).

Hence, the connection becomes unusable and it is not possible to use Deco X50 in router mode.

I also have old Tp-link Archer C9, which does not have this issue. So I am currently using Tp-link Archer C9 as a router and Tp-link Deco X50 in access point mode.

Ultimately, I would like to get rid Tp-link Archer C9 and run Tp-link Deco X50 in router mode, but that is currently not possible, while connected through Zscaler proxy and VPN data center in Sao Paolo (Brazil).

Would anybody please know, if there is a possibility to turn off Deco Homeshield completely or configure the security settings of the router accordingly to allow to work with Zscaler?

For potential buyers please note that Tp-link Deco X50 (I assume it is going to be similar for other Deco products) is VERY limited and can be a deal breaker for many. 

Thank you in advance for any hint how to resolve this. 

Lada

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco X50 blocks the upload for Zscaler-Solution
2022-11-17 08:10:44 - last edited 2023-10-25 03:29:05

@Rob20 Update:

For the Zscaler VPN performance issue with Deco, please refer to the suggestions here:

Zscaler VPN Performance Issue with Deco

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
22 Reply
Re:Deco X50 blocks the upload for Zscaler
2022-07-19 11:23:21

@Lada_X50 I've just installed a Deco X50. Not had any issues with Zscaler.

I'm not using HomeShield, do you have to use it?

Options
2022-07-19 14:12:17

@Pezky - Could you please advise how to switch off HomeShield? As far as I understand even if HomeShield subsription is not activated, the HomeShield is still on sending DNS requests to Avira.

Options
2022-07-20 03:35:11 - last edited 2022-07-20 03:39:47

@Lada_X50 

You are right and HomeShield can not be completely off unless it is in AP mode. If we did not subscribe HomeShild pro, users will enjoy the basic plan.

And at the very beginning, I noticed that you mentioned Zscaler VPN is unable not completely blocked so I think it might not be related to the HomeShild firewall.

(It is highly appreciated if you could provide more details you have found they might be related.)

So I wonder when Deco X50 is on router mode, if the laptop is wired into the main Deco, are you able to get a stable connection.

Please also refer to this link to change the WAN DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 to see whether it helped:How to change DNS server settings on my Deco

By the way, when you are available, could you please help me test when both C9 and X50 are on the wireless router mode(ISP--Archer C9---Deco X50), are you able to get a stable VPN connection over Deco.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2022-07-20 11:34:58

@David-TP 

Hi David

Question:

So I wonder when Deco X50 is on router mode, if the laptop is wired into the main Deco, are you able to get a stable connection.

Answer:

No, if the laptop is using ZSCALER VPN and Proxy. Other laptos without ZSCALER VPN and Proxy have the speed decreased (ping increased) compare to using other routers.

Question:

Please also refer to this link to change the WAN DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 to see whether it helped:How to change DNS server settings on my Deco

Answer:

Yes, I am using Google DNS servers.

Question:

By the way, when you are available, could you please help me test when both C9 and X50 are on the wireless router mode(ISP--Archer C9---Deco X50), are you able to get a stable VPN connection over Deco.

Answer:

Please let me know, when you would be avaiable and how would you like to analyze the issue. I will do my best to assist.

Summary:

I' m 99% sure that the issue is related to HomeShield firewall on Deco. Any other router including Tp-link Archer C9 is working fine and Deco X50 in access point mode is working fine as well. Unfortunately HomeShield firewall has no options for configuration. I find that hard to believe for a product, which costs 270 EUR.

Options
2022-11-10 15:45:59 - last edited 2022-11-10 15:46:37

@DecoX20 hi have Deco X20 Zscaler VPN Is Not Working 

we have other netgear router it working Fine. Please  Help

Options
2022-11-12 13:21:15

@JiteshKeny 

I had TP-link support connected to my network using Teamviewer uploading debugging firmware and modifying the settings to enable working it with Zscaler.

They have also said new firmware will be provided via TP-link support channel, once the issue is resolved in new firmware.

Options
2022-11-17 07:42:51

Hi guys,

I have bought last week the X50, and it worked fine and all until I had to connect to work .. using ZScaler.

Do you have any idea if this problem will be fixed soon or do I have to return it and find another brand that is compatible with ZScaler?

From what I can see in the comments this is not their only model that is not working with ZScaler.

Thanks

Options
Re:Deco X50 blocks the upload for Zscaler-Solution
2022-11-17 08:10:44 - last edited 2023-10-25 03:29:05

@Rob20 Update:

For the Zscaler VPN performance issue with Deco, please refer to the suggestions here:

Zscaler VPN Performance Issue with Deco

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-11-23 08:02:48

Hi @David-TP , I guess there is no status yet about the firmware, right?

Personally I'm not ok with solution for each customer separately (teamview + call), especially if it has to be on the work laptop on which there is ZScaler installed. I would prefer a general solution that works for everyone. At the moment I use the deco as an access point, but it's not what it was bought for sad.

Options
2023-02-20 11:45:16

@Rob20 

Hello,  I have same issue. 

Which setting are needed to solve ZScaler issue on work laptop.

All other Devices works fine.

Currently I use Router Mode!

Why is AP Mode better?

Regards Martin 

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 3123

Replies: 22

Tags

Feature Request
HomeShield switch off