Zscaler VPN / Global Protect VPN Performance Issue with Deco

2023-10-25 03:20:02 - last edited a week ago

This Article Applies to:

Deco X73-DSL_V1,Deco PX50_V1, Deco X50_V1

Issue Description:

Some users reported that, when connecting to Deco, devices that use the Zscaler VPN service, are close to unusable. For example, With the Zscaler VPN connected, the laptop only got 2-6mbps upload and the upload traffic is often blocked out or timed out. While without Zscaler, the laptop is able to get 400-800mbps Upload.

Possible Suggestions:

1. Please confirm the Zscaler VPN client utility is up-to-date.

2. If there is already an ISP-supplied router, please temporarily set Deco in Access Point mode.

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

3. Please install the following beta firmware and comment below whether it worked or not.

Deco X73-DSL_V1 Deco X73-DSL_V1_1.0.9
Deco PX50(US)_V1 Please update to the latest firmware version 1.2.0 and above.
Deco PX50(EU)_V1 Please update to the latest firmware version 1.2.0 and above.
Deco X50_V1 Deco X50_V1_1.5.0 beta
Deco X60_V3/3.2 Update to the official 1.2.5 version
Deco XE75/XE5300_V2 Deco XE75/XE5300_V2_1.2.3
Deco XE75 Pro V2 Deco XE75Pro_V2_1.2.7

Note: Please be sure you have read the Terms and Conditions for TP-Link Beta Firmware before proceeding!

4. If you experienced a similar issue on other models, please feel free to comment below with the following details, then the case will be forwarded to the engineers for further investigation:

• The Internet connection type under Deco APP>More>Internet Connection.
  •  Are you able to stably reproduce this issue on the device?
  •  Is the PC connected to the Deco network by ethernet or wireless?

Options
15 Reply
Re:Zscaler VPN Performance Issue with Deco
2023-11-03 03:08:56

@David-TP 

Hi David,

I'm still having issues. My Zscaler version is 4.1.0.9.8 and my Deco (x55) firmware is currently 1.3.1.

Web browsing or trying to access files etc. is extremely spotty and mostly unusable. My deco is also my router (connects to the modem) so I can't set it as access point mode. Have tried your static DNS as well to no avail. Internet connection type is PPPoE (IPv4).

is there a firmware for the x55 that solves this? I've had the deco for about a month and it has never really worked consistently when using zscaler while everything else works fine.

thanks

Options
2023-11-09 05:46:26

@David-TP 

Just reporting I have the X73-dsl.

This firmware update has fixed my authentication issues with Z-Scaler. All seems to be working well.

Thanks.

Options
2023-12-01 21:04:18

@David-TP 

I'm using a mesh of 3 Deco XE5300's, and having issues wtih Zscaler that sound similar to what was described in this thread.  The viability of the connection seems to come and go, sometimes I can't get to a website/service, then a few minutes later I can, or vice versa.  This happens whether or not I am tunneled through to my corprate VPN on top of Zscaler.

Just as an example, I've had 38 Zscaler notifications logged in the last 6.5 hours that seem to indicate the connection was unstable and came back up.  Yesterday I was working in a different part of town on a cellular hotspot instead of my home network w/Deco, and had no such notifications over probably a similar period of time.

Firmware version: 1.2.8 Build 20230901 Rel. 36505

Internet Connection Type: Dynamic IP

Options
2023-12-08 00:11:11

@David-TP 

Hi David,

Is the TP link team planning to address this? I'm now unfortunately out of my return window and the Deco X55 clearly does not work with Zscaler.

I presume this is still because zscaler is still being blocked by deco which I cannot turn off.

I've been on the latest 1.31 firmware you released two months ago and it still does not work.

Options
2023-12-08 06:04:03

@tyoung92 

@kireland 

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Yes, the engineers are planned to fix this issue along with firmware upgrade.

In the same time, I will follow up on your case via email first and check with the engineer to see if there is any workaround.

Please check whether you could receive my email.

Best regards.

Options
2023-12-13 21:21:05

@David-TP 

Looks like this is an issue with X50's V2 as well(in the above post it only mentions V1). The Deco's are X50's running firmware version 2.0.6 Build 20230928 Rel.882. I'm having the same issue with Zscaler on my worklaptop ever since I switched to an ISP that uses Deco's as the primary modem/router. Currently on Zscaler v3.x but in the process of getting company IT to install v4.x

Options
2023-12-14 02:44:47

@BluePanther Hi, welcome to the community.

Deco X50_V1_2.0.3_Build 20230928 Rel.882 is a customized model for local internet service provider.

It could be found on the product label , such as "Deco X50(ISP-CA)". Its firmware is customized to meet the specific requirements of the ISPs and could not share the same fix implemented on the general models.

May I know who is your internet service provider? It is suggested to report this issue to the ISP directly and check whether they already have a fixed new firmware version.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-12-14 02:54:21

@David-TP 

Thank you for the prompt response David. To answer your question - the ISP in question is Distributel. 

So is the fix already available and the issue is they just haven't integrated/merged the patch into their firmware distributions? Would you suggest just pointing them to this thread for them to get the context of what the issue is and how to resolve it? I've just seen this movie before - just want to make sure they have all the information that they'd need in order to quickly resolve this. Instead of just saying that it's an issue with TP-Link and that I'd have to contact them

Options
2023-12-29 13:44:43

@David-TP I have recently purchased Deco X55 Mesh Wifi-6 router and have hit this issue when running zscaler on my work laptop. The zscaler version is not controlled by me and is commonly installed by the corporate team. So this is making my X55 unusable with my work system. Can this be resolved immediately on X55 main line firmware. I dont know how this has not been fixed when zscaler is so widely used VPN. 

Thanks

Sudhir

Options
2024-02-06 23:35:33

@David-TP 

Hi David,

Can you follow up with me via email or let us know timeline for a fix?

I noticed an update for the X55 released about a month ago (now 1.4.1 Build20231122 Rel. 40485) but zscaler still does not work on these routers.

I've spoken to our company's IT team and this is our only VPN option so have been left tethering from my phone instead.

It would be really good if I can get a fix ASAP. I use the deco as I have other TPLink products (smart plugs, cameras, lights) on the IoT network but it's been months and clearly the Deco does not work with zscaler.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1888

Replies: 15

Related Articles