Replacing old smart hub with Deco X50-DSL - will I have to replace my deco mesh hub details?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Replacing old smart hub with Deco X50-DSL - will I have to replace my deco mesh hub details?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-05 12:05:27
Tags: #wifi network reset
Model: Deco X50-DSL  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've happily installed and set up a new mesh network using two X50 routers but I want to replace the Crapnet Smarthub 2 modem/router with a Deco X50-DSL. I'm not sure if this will require me making another new mesh network (new names/password/reconnecting printers and IoT devices) or if the new modem/router will be able to join the present wifi currently hosted by the 'Main' Deco.

I'm not sure how well I've expressed this but to someone who recognises the potential issue I'm sure it will make sense!

Options
9 Reply
Re:Replacing old smart hub with Deco X50-DSL - will I have to replace my deco mesh hub details?
2023-09-06 11:08:57 - last edited 2023-09-06 11:10:11

@Jagey, Hi, you do explain it quite clearlylaugh.

Is there any specific reason that you want to replace Crapnet Smarthub 2 modem/router with the Deco X50-DSL?

The new Deco X50-DSL is indeed able to join the Mesh Network of Deco X50 since All our Deco models can be mixed to work together.

The problem here is that Deco X50-DSL will work as the main Deco and its current firmware is not as updated as Deco X50 yet. In other words, in the new mixed Mesh networks, there will be no VPN server/client, IoT network, or other new features added on 1.2.x firmware on the Deco APP. 

So the better suggestion would be to keep the Crapnet Smarthub 2 modem/router and set it into DSL bridge modem mode, then connect Deco X50 behind as the main router.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Replacing old smart hub with Deco X50-DSL - will I have to replace my deco mesh hub details?
2023-09-06 11:46:38

@David-TP 

Thanks for the reply, David.

I'm trying to simplify my set up and reduce clutter whilst extending coverage through the (small) house.

Also, I'm aware of the oncoming cessation of copper connections so when we go FTTP (whenever that happens) I want to be able to manage my network with a simple and clear app - yes, the Deco app is very user friendly.

When that change happens I don't know if my partner will want to keep the old landline number on a VOIP connection so I'm also looking at the Deco X73-DSL as a possible alternative.

Im trying to get my head round the bridge mode and firmware update stuff - this is a steep learning curve!

The two X50s I set up already updated their firmware during the process and work well but their coverage to the area previously covered by the crapnet hub is not quite adequate. They are all hardwired using CAT6/7 cable so I could add another X50 right by the 'smart hub' but that's another device and more power wires on an already crowded shelf.

Would the DSL models update their firmware on installation and then acquire the extra functions? Would it then be just a matter of resetting the original X50s to the new network? Practice makes perfect, as they say!

Many thanks, again :-)

Options
2023-09-07 07:45:19

@Jagey 

Hi,

It is planned to add similar extra features to Deco DSL models. But the expected date is quite unclear and the firmware release cycle of Deco DSL models is usually longer than other models.

Thanks a lot and best regards.

Options
2023-09-07 09:39:29

@David-TP 

Thanks for your help. I will give it some thought!

JJ

Options
2023-09-09 00:15:37

@Jagey I'd be a bit careful with what you do here.

I'm pretty sure FTTP will not require a modem so the Smarthub will just go away when you upgrade.

In fact I'm looking forward to getting rid of my modem next week when I get an FTTP upgrade.

I hasten to add there may be other cases of FTTP that I'm not aware of so you probably need to check with your provider (I did) to be sure.

Options
2023-09-10 14:58:09
Intriguing. Does this mean that any of the deco mesh routers can be used where presently the DSL modem lives. I will have to migrate to FTTP within a couple of years so I'd be happy with three X50s, the 'main' one being connected to the ONT via ethernet. Does that require a dedicated WAN port or are the four available ethernet ports smart enough to know what they are being asked to do? This would suit me fine as the Deco app makes managing the network a lot clearer than the Crapnet interface. I haven't yet decided how a 'landline' would work…perhaps my current DECT cordless would go via an ATA into an ethernet port in the main router.
Options
2023-09-11 01:30:36 - last edited 2023-09-11 01:31:29

Jagey wrote

Intriguing. Does this mean that any of the deco mesh routers can be used where presently the DSL modem lives. I will have to migrate to FTTP within a couple of years so I'd be happy with three X50s, the 'main' one being connected to the ONT via ethernet. Does that require a dedicated WAN port or are the four available ethernet ports smart enough to know what they are being asked to do? This would suit me fine as the Deco app makes managing the network a lot clearer than the Crapnet interface. I haven't yet decided how a 'landline' would work…perhaps my current DECT cordless would go via an ATA into an ethernet port in the main router
As I say you must check with your provider, I'm only passing what I've been told about my case from my provider.

Yes, I've been told that the ONT provides an Ethernet connection so pretty much any router only (not DSL, or not using the DSL) should work and I'm pretty sure that means the Decos should be just fine. Some ISPs do strange things to try and lock people in though so do check.

I haven't used VOIP for quite a while now but as long as your provider doesn't prevent incoming connections (eg, uses CG-NAT) an ATA should work fine although if there are problems with the automatic VOIP forwarding you might need to turn it off and manually forward ports. Finding out what a particular ATA needs can be a challenge so some up front research on that is worth while.
Options
2023-09-11 08:27:25

@raven-au 

Thumbs up to all for helpful responses.

Sometimes, with technology, you won't know until you try it but it helps to prepare the ground in advance.

In the UK we have another couple of years before being obliged to change but I'm putting some steps in place to keep myself aware of what is happening.

Next, how to buy a light bulb…enlightened

Options
2023-10-09 10:36:55

Well, that seemed to go well.

Initially set up the Deco DSL as main but still using the crapnet hub for DSL connection.

Having a morning free I decided to replace this with the Deco and, once I'd got the (very few) settings in correctly and a reboot all seems ok on the wired and wi-fi network. No wi-fi settings lost in the reassigning from Router to DSL Router.

The Deco App is a great help and mostly led me through.

Fingers crossed…

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 509

Replies: 9

Tags

wifi network reset
Related Articles