Deco reporting quality

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco reporting quality

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco reporting quality
Deco reporting quality
2023-09-06 00:36:12
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I purchased the reporting service, specifically for tracking device usage from Android. Its features are insufficient to effectively monitor your kids activity.

It incorrectly reports devices as offline when not and vice versa. The most recent website lists are full of ad link sites + tracking pages, not the actual sites visited. The hours online is very inaccurate, and there's no way to reset totals. The few charts, like minutes of activity, are not titled, the data points aren't listed, and they don't differentiate between an active connection on a phone sitting idle and real user activity. There's no useful export of that data. The system log accessed from a browser page only shows log entries at best that occurred in the last hour, if that.  

There is also no API exposed so no possibility of building your own reports or using third party reporting. 

Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco reporting quality
2023-09-06 10:02:35

@IAINDER  Additional issues - Selecting a date to report against, eg yesterday, doesn't change the time graph. The weekly view inaccurately calculates the actual usage. I'm bothered that because the reporting software is unacceptable, it may mean that Deco software testing in general is insufficient. 

The Deco mesh is reasonably trouble free. Running Android 10 on mobile. 

Options
2023-09-06 10:45:43

@IAINDER 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Since the HomeShield pro service has been updated in the last few months, did you subscribe to Advanced Parental Controls separately on the Deco APP?

Is there any chance that you could send some screenshots of the reports on the Deco APP to support.forum@tp-link.com?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-09-06 11:31:29

@David-TP hi. I subscribed to the Advanced Parental Controls offered thru the Deco app. 

I also turned on email notification of device connections and got a dozen emails about the same device, the one I am monitoring, stating it was disconnecting itself over night.

Options
2023-09-06 11:46:29

@IAINDER the Tether app confirms my HomeShield subscription for the APC. 

Options
2023-09-07 01:39:07

@IAINDER update - the phone I am monitoring is generating notifications that the phone is connecting + disconnecting every 20 mins from when the phone returned home. The phone has been in the same room throughout, and has no reason to continuously cycle thru disconnections. 

Options
2023-09-07 06:09:27

@IAINDER 

Hi, Thank you very much for the details and I got your email as well.

May I know the model number of the smartphone? 

Did it help a little bit if you turned off "Mesh Technology" on the Deco APP for this device?

Options
2023-09-07 10:36:35

@David-TP hi David. Phone is Samsung SM-N960W, a Galaxy Note9.

Presumably turning off the Mesh Technology might reduce the stream of connects/disconnects originating from the same device because the phone is in range of two Deco units. However the mesh tech is one of the reasons to purchase the Decos - to enable seamless handoff between access points. Connectivity is not lost from the users perspective so the notifications are false.

In any case, the mesh tech will not impact the Advanced Parental Control user interface nor functional issues I raised. A very quick read of the TP forums suggests these issues have persisted across Deco users since 2021 or earlier. 

I sent screen shots to the support team as requested.  

Options
2023-09-08 11:14:07 - last edited 2023-09-08 11:17:01

@IAINDER 

Thanks for getting back to me. I do receive the screenshots of Parental Control reports and they have been reported to the senior engineers for further suggestions.

By the way, sometimes, I think the Deco APP takes time to load the latest data. So did it make any difference or display the corret online time after a while or refreshing the Deco APP?

As for the device notification, many users might think Mesh is only related to the router but actually, the mobile device needs to support roaming as well. Deco sends out the roaming suggestions and devices will decide by themselves whether to accept the roaming or not.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 361

Replies: 8

Related Articles