Repeater and simultaneous double band

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-06 09:48:37 - last edited 2023-09-06 10:40:04
Model: RE330  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: RE330(EU)_V1_1.0.23 Build 230418

I bought a RE330 to pair it via EasyMesh to the VX1810v modem/router (also EasyMesh).
The modem/router supports the creation of wireless networks with simultaneous dual bands (2,4 and 5), by enabling the "band sterring" function.

The two separate networks (2,4 and 5), with two different SSID (usually XXXXX and XXXXX_5G) converge to unique SSID.

I don't want a thousand SSID in the house and I need the wireless network to be in simultaneous dual band.

With this setting active (band steering) I cannot connect the RE330 in mesh mode (EasyMesh).

Naturally, neither the firmware nor the manual warns of these limitations and I don't understand: is this correct? is it a firmware bug?

If I want to extend a simultaneous dual-band SSID network in mesh mode (EasyMesh), can I use a Mesh Range Extender or not?

This is the rich modem support page. Shameful.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Repeater and simultaneous double band
2023-09-08 02:02:12

@cl-7k-01 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

Archer VX1810V is a customized model for internet service providers whose firmware is a little different than the general models and RE330 is for retailers. I think it might be related but I will check with the engineers later.

On the general EasyMesh compatible models, I see "smart connect" is often used to make routers use the same SSIDs for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. While on the Archer VR1810V, there is no "smart connect" and its user manual mentioned that "Band Steering" helps devices choose better AP based on actual conditions to balance network demands. I think it tries to say that "Band Steering" helps get a better roaming experience between the main router(VX1810v) and extender (RE330). It seems irrelevant to the SSIDs, more like "AP steering" in certain ways.

In the meantime, I wish you could help me confirm the following details:

• With "Band Steering" disabled, is RE330 able to create EasyMesh with VX1810v properly?
    • If yes, are RE330 and AX1810V automatically merged into one SSID?

Thank you again and best regards.

Options
Re:Repeater and simultaneous double band
2023-09-11 11:12:10

David-TP wrote

• With "Band Steering" disabled, is RE330 able to create EasyMesh with VX1810v properly?
    • If yes, are RE330 and AX1810V automatically merged into one SSID?

Thank you again and best regards.

@David-TP 

- With Band Sterring disabled, after thousand attempts, on only a couple of occasions I managed to connect the RE330 via EasyMesh and, when i activeted a "band sterring"   option in the modem menu, RE330 disconnected immediately;

- with band sterring disabled, SSID is two (one for 2,4 and one for 5 GHZ), when RE330 was correctly paired in EasyMesh mode, RE330 was generating the same two (not one!) SSIDs

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 323

Replies: 2

Related Articles