ISP (Comwave) & Mesh Router (TP-Link Decor M) & VPN (NordVPN) ???

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-12 20:04:47
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: ???

:TP-Link Decor M Router and VPN Connection? My first post - consider me as an 80 year old newbie. My Canadian Service Provider (Comwave) never said their combo modem/router (Hitron) only had a 25 foot limitation. Result was I experienced many WiFi dead spots in my home. Their tech support identified TP-Link Mesh as a solution and I am very pleased with the TP-Link Deco Whole home Mesh router - easy installation and no more dead spots. My next challenge was VPN and NordVPN limits the number of devices to 6 but they say this could be solved by using the same router as a client (this would be considered 1 device). So my newbie question has to do with asking if and how my home network with 1 modem, 1 TP-Link Decor M router and about 15 possible devices (cell phones, tablets, chrome laptops, windows computers and multiple printers AND NordVPN can all co-exist (as 1 big happy family)? 

Patrick
Options
6 Reply
Re:ISP (Comwave) & Mesh Router (TP-Link Decor M) & VPN (NordVPN) ???
2023-09-13 01:05:49 - last edited 2023-09-13 01:07:41

@pakretired if that's a recent purchase are you sure it's a V2 not a V4.

You can see a post in the forum about firmware that adds vpn client support to a number of models but the M4 V2 doesn't appear to be one of them, it may come later of course.

See https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/614754.

Options
2023-09-13 02:00:29 - last edited 2023-09-13 02:02:15

@pakretired 

The ideal scenario would be like - your Hitron modem/router in bridge mode and Deco M4 in router mode with its NordVPN Client configured.

Of course, as pointed by @raven-au the Deco M4 should be HW v4 to make all this work.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-09-13 06:13:10

@pakretired 

Hi, welcome to the community.

For the Deco M series including Deco M4/M5/M9 Plus, there hasn't been a model capable of working as a VPN client.

Since all Deco models are compatible with each other and VPN features follow the main Deco, you could add one more Deco, such as Deco X50/Deco X55 . It could join in the Mesh network and work as the main Deco, then bring VPN features to the whole Deco Mesh system.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-09-17 09:36:41

@pakretired 

Welcome to the tech world! Your TP-Link Deco M4 router should handle the load well with its mesh setup. Integrating NordVPN as a client on the router is a good approach, ensuring all devices connected to the router benefit from the VPN APK. This should harmonize your home network and NordVPN, allowing all devices to coexist smoothly.

Options
2023-09-17 23:29:48

Reading this thread got me thinking about VPN performance.

I've found it difficult to find what CPU is included in the various Deco models so can anyone tell me which Deco models have a CPU that supports hardware acceleration of VPN traffic and which models, if any, have the VPN software that's included compiled to take advantage of hardware acceleration.

This make a fairly large difference to the potential VPN throughput, particulraly on slower devices.

Options
2023-10-26 05:40:43

@pakretired 

Hello and welcome!

Absolutely, your TP-Link Deco M4 can be configured with NordVPN, allowing all devices in your home to connect through the VPN using just one of the allowed slots. Just ensure you set up the VPN at the router level. This way, every device connected to your TP-Link will use NordVPN, and they'll all co-exist harmoniously under one  unlimited gems VPN connection. Happy surfing!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 910

Replies: 6

Related Articles