New TP-Link modem breaks TP-Link USB Wifi Adapter on Windows 10

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-14 10:15:52 - last edited 2023-09-14 10:24:20
Model: TL-WN725N  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have this USB Wifi Adapter that I've used for several years. A couple of days ago I upgraded my TalkTalk modem (Sagemcom Fast 5364) to an Archer V2100. Everything is great across all devices except my main Windows 10 PC. The Wifi connection keeps getting lost, both reported as disconnected and reported as connected but nothing loading. It seems to happen when I access data-heavy websites like Google Maps or YouTube, but I'm not sure on that. eg. Trying to access this website to post has taken me fifteen minutes getting the pages to load and progress.

When the adapter fails, I can use Windows Troubleshooter which 'resets the Wifi adapter' and it works for a bit, but then it stops again. I've tried it in different USB ports with the same issue.

The device comes up as a Realtek RTL8188EU 802.11n in Control Panel.

This is my main internet access. It's incredibly debilitating, and confusing as I'm using two TP-Link products. It should be more reliable than the TP-Link USB adapter with the Sagemcom modem.

Motherboard is an ASUS TUF B550 without onboard Wifi

Options
2 Reply
Re:New TP-Link modem breaks TP-Link USB Wifi Adapter on Windows 10
2023-09-15 11:08:19

@ShiftyGeezer 

Hi, Have you tried to change the 2.4 GHz wireless channel on the VR2100 to channel 11 to reduce the adjacent Wi-Fi interference?

Then please also try to install the following driver to see whether it could improve the stability:

https://static.tp-link.com/2019/201911/20191129/TL-WN725Nv3.zip

By the way, have you seen a similar issue on other 2.4Ghz clients that are connected to VR2100?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:New TP-Link modem breaks TP-Link USB Wifi Adapter on Windows 10
2023-09-16 15:29:40 - last edited 2023-09-16 20:51:26

@David-TP 

No issues with any other clients. After reverting to the old router and that behaving itself at first, signal quality started to degrade. Internet got slower and slower.

Then I moved the adapter to a different USB and hey presto! It's all good.

USB is so dumb! Anyway, for future problems others might face, and troubleshooting advice, try moving the adapter to a different port. Notably, I tried in in the adjacent port but that's on the same controller and didn't help. Moving it to a different port on a different controller (different group of ports) made the difference.

Edit: Sadly not as fixed as I'd thought. Just now network was insanely slow n this desktp. Just swapped adapter back to original port and it's working fine. I'll try a new adapter. If that fails I guess it comes down to a Windows reinstall.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 461

Replies: 2

Related Articles