Why do we need a backhaul router/switch? So simple to avoid

2023-09-16 11:17:49
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I really want to set up my 3 node network with each node connected to ethernet. I have 2 switches and neither of them supports backhaul it seems, and neither does my fibre modem.

But I can't help wondering why deco has set things up so we need backhaul. A node can easily detect if it is connected directly to the internet. Why does it need to go through the main node? It can also communicate with the main node either through ethernet or through wifi to give it information like statistics on bytes sent/received, conneted devices, etc.

It seems like a choice has been made by deco to force people to buy a backhaul switch simply because that is the way they chose to allow their nodes to communicate. That is not a very customer friendly choice when there are so many other ways they could have done this in software.

Looking at forums it's not even easy to figure out which switches on amazon will work with deco. And a lot of those that are listed in forums I can't find anywhere in my country, and ordering from abroad is costly due to customs tax.

Why do companies like deco make life so hard for customers for no reason?

Please Deco reconsider this need for backhaul and let each node detect (or be configured from the app) to tell it whether it can directly connect to the internet through ethernet. it can stil communicate with the main node through wifi, but should not route traffic through the main node when on ethernet with a direct internet access.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Why do we need a backhaul router/switch? So simple to avoid
2024-01-09 10:13:42

@Pete12121 Agreed! It's frustrating when network setup becomes unnecessarily complex. Deco should consider allowing each node to detect or be configured for direct internet access via ethernet, improving flexibility for users. This would eliminate the need for backhaul switches and make the setup process more customer-friendly also u can calcultate customs tax at GST Calculator. Simplifying compatibility information for switches would also be a great help.

Options
2024-03-11 18:30:53 - last edited 2024-03-11 18:32:28

@Pete12121 Deco mesh networks route traffic through the main node for seamless handoff and network optimization. While it may seem inconvenient, this design choice aims to improve performance and reliability. You can share your feedback and suggestions with Deco's customer support for future improvements.

Options
2024-03-11 19:42:41

@robyngknapp 

Actually, with Deco mesh running in Access Point mode and network layout as following:

Satellite Decos will not route Internet traffic through Main Deco. They still need backhaul for management purposes, but something like file download/upload goes straight from Satellite Deco to the switch to Main Modem/Router.

Options