{Help Needed} Migrating from Software Controller to Hardware Controller without config file

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

{Help Needed} Migrating from Software Controller to Hardware Controller without config file

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-18 03:12:51 - last edited 2023-09-19 10:21:20
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.17.0 Build 20230328 Rel.52369

Hi all,

I need some help with my issue. I was previously running a Omada Software Controller on a NUC with Windows version 5.12.2. Recently, we just bought an OC300 Hardware Controller as we need something more reliable and rack mountable. Unfortunately, I was not able to restore the config files from the SC to the HC, because of version difference. Even after upgrading the OC300 with Beta firmware version 5.12.8, I was still unable to import the config files. Seeing that there might be no way that the SC and HC will have the same version number anytime soon, how do I adopt all my current devices without loss of running config, and without resetting these devices? In my office premise, we have 1x Gateway, 3x switches and 5x EAPs, all connected to the SC and running just fine. Any kind of help is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:{Help Needed} Migrating from Software Controller to Hardware Controller without config file-Solution
2023-09-18 15:51:50 - last edited 2023-09-19 10:21:20

@Zack_Amin 

I have seen this issue before trying to move between hardware and software controllers.  My usual work around is to set up the desired device as a new controller and then with both controllers up and active, migrate just the SITE from the old controller, to the new one.  Just follow the built-in wizard in the controller to do Site migrations.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:{Help Needed} Migrating from Software Controller to Hardware Controller without config file-Solution
2023-09-18 15:51:50 - last edited 2023-09-19 10:21:20

@Zack_Amin 

I have seen this issue before trying to move between hardware and software controllers.  My usual work around is to set up the desired device as a new controller and then with both controllers up and active, migrate just the SITE from the old controller, to the new one.  Just follow the built-in wizard in the controller to do Site migrations.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:{Help Needed} Migrating from Software Controller to Hardware Controller without config file
2023-09-19 01:01:22

Hi @d0ugmac1 ,

Thanks for the reply. Initially, I was thinking of just that, it's just that I am a bit unsure if it will work because I have seen some videos where the migration using the wizard will still need to generate a config file for the new location to import it into. I could be wrong, but nonetheless, I shall give this a try and will report back my findings.

Thanks again. 

Options
Re:{Help Needed} Migrating from Software Controller to Hardware Controller without config file
2023-09-19 01:18:58

@Zack_Amin 

It looks like the site migration has more flexible operation space than controller migration, expecting the updates from you.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-09-19 02:27:35

@Virgo Pretty sure it will work, I used the process to move from an OC200 to a Raspberry PI clone solution (so hardware to software).

Options
2023-09-19 10:23:05

Hi all,

I am happy to report that the site migration has been successful. This was made possible after upgrading the OC300 firmware to the newly released verison 5.12.9. Thank you all for the great help! Hope this community will grow even bigger in the future.

Options