TP-Link AX3000 RE705X as access point with computer

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-20 12:02:06
Model: RE705X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

CURRENT SETUP:

I have a TP-Link VX420-G2v router/modem that serves as my main gateway to the internet. Additionally, my computer has a WiFi card that connects to the router to access the WAN network. Furthermore, there is a second network card in the computer (currently inactive) with a LAN port.

ISSUE:

Unfortunately, my computer has a weak signal strength due to its significant distance from the router. I have some devices that connect to my PC via WiFi, but due to the long distance, the connection does not maintain satisfactory performance.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

I thought about using a TP-Link AX3000 RE705X range extender in access point mode. Please advise whether, if I switch the TP-Link AX3000 RE705X to Access Point mode and connect it to the Ethernet card (PC) using the LAN port, this access point will be visible to my devices as a separate access point with internet access. If so, will this require any additional configuration on the computer (Win 10 Home Edition)?

MY PLANNED SETUP:

Internet ----> [TP-Link VX420-G2v] --- WiFi ---> [WiFi Network Card in PC] ---- computer ----> [Network Card with LAN port] ---- LAN port ----> [TP-Link AX3000 RE705X] --- WiFi ---> [My Devices]

Options
4 Reply
Re:TP-Link AX3000 RE705X as access point with computer
2023-09-23 08:27:55

Will it work?

Options
2023-09-23 13:26:18 - last edited 2023-09-23 13:28:56

@arczi79 

Hi,

I haven't used any Windows Home Edition for many years and hence I am not sure if it supports "Internet Connection Sharing", but you can check this for yourself following the screenshot below.

If Win 10 Home Edition does support Internet Connection Sharing, then it will work. Just right-click on the [WiFi Network Card in PC] that connects to the Internet connection of your router, select "Properties" -> "Sharing" tab and then select the [Network Card with LAN port] to which you want to connect the RE705X in AP mode.

Options
2023-09-23 17:17:56

@woozle 

Thank you for the advice. in Win 10 Home I have "Sharing" tab but I don't see lookup from your printscreen.

Anyway - I see I can also create Network Bridge (which will include my LAN and WiFi car) - so it should be sufficient for my needs.

Do I understand properly that RE705X will work properly in this configuration?

Options
2023-09-24 00:20:48 - last edited 2023-09-24 00:21:32

@arczi79 

I just checked the Internet Connection Sharing menu again. If the computer only has one other network adapter besides the one you are sharing, then there is no drop-down selection shown. So, all is okay.

According to TP-Link's website the RE705X supports AP mode, therefore it should work. Internet Connection Sharing works fine with my RE305 in AP mode.

Although a note about the Internet Connection Sharing. This feature essentially turns Windows into a router. So it will add another NAT and your VX420-G2v will not be able to manage the devices that are connected to the RE705X.

I am not sure about the network bridge. Provided you can manage to get it to work properly, then this could be another option for you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 719

Replies: 4

Related Articles