Archer AX12 V1 Wi-Fi Disconnecting Issue in AP Mode
2023-09-26 10:44:58 - last edited 2023-12-21 09:13:14
Model: Archer AX12  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

This Article Applies to:

Archer AX12 V1 working on AP Mode

Issue Description:

When Archer AX12 V1 works on AP mode and there are multiple APs in the same network with the same SSID, some customer might experience Wi-Fi disconnecting issue when the client devices are roaming among different APs.

Solution:

Update: 

The new official firmware has been released, please check for update on your router Web GUI or Tether App.

Or you could also download the latest firmware from our official website: 

Firmware Download for Archer AX12 V1

If there is any further issue after installing the above new firmware, please provide detailed problem and your whole network topology, also let us know whether there are multiple APs using the same SSID.

Options
15 Reply
Re:Archer AX12 V1 Wi-Fi Disconnecting Issue in AP Mode
2023-10-16 02:02:27

Sunshine wrote

This Article Applies to:

Archer AX12 V1 working on AP Mode

Issue Description:

When Archer AX12 V1 works on AP mode and there are multiple APs in the same network with the same SSID, some customer might experience Wi-Fi disconnecting issue when the client devices are roaming among different APs.

Solution:

If you encounter the same issue, please try downloading and updating the following beta firmware, then monitor if the issue can be resolved:

Archer AX12_V1_20230926

Note: Before proceeding with the installation, please take a moment to read and understand our Beta Firmware Agreement.

If there is any further issue after installing the above beta firmware, please provide detailed problem and your whole network topology, also let us know whether there are multiple APs using the same SSID.

@Sunshine 

Options
2023-11-20 22:18:26 - last edited 2023-11-21 06:18:53

@Sunshine  Hi - I may be experiencing this issue with three brand new AX12 routers, but before trying beta software, I wanted to check if this sounds like the same. My experience is, that installing one or more of the AX12 routers in AP mode using same SSID and password but with different wifi channels selected, wireless clients most times (not all times) fails to connect to the wifi of the AX12 or also experience when connected that they can't get to the internet.

Does this sound like the same issue? If so, I may well give it a try with the beta software - unless the next update containing this fix is coming within the next few days or week?

Also - installing the beta version, will this be overwritten when next full version is released, or is it possible to move back to the current released version of 20230921?

Thanks,

Allan

Options
2023-11-23 08:16:50

@ACHvass 

Hi, the issue seems similar, thus you could install the beta firmware to see if it solves the issue.

Regarding the second question, I cannot find the firmware 20230921 you mentioned, the latest official firmware on our website is 1.0.25 Build 20230809, since the beta firmware is 1.1.20 Build 20230926, I am afraid the 1.1.20 version cannot downgrade to 1.0.25 version, may I know where you see the 20230921 version?

Options
2023-11-23 10:05:40

@Sunshine thanks a lot for picking up on this! I was referring to the publication date of most recent firmware, not the firmware file name, see screen shot.

What's currently holding me back trying it out (as I can't roll back) are the two independent reports from other testers on reduced wifi speeds after loading the beta version, specifically see https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/617510?replyId=1265236 and https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/617510?replyId=1271380 , which I've asked on in those threads whether are observable vs. achieved wifi speed prior to loading the beta firmware, see https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/617510?replyId=1282662 .

If it's not a real issue, I'm open to try out the beta versions and get my home network fully upgraded throwing out really outdated APs and go with up-to-date hardware (incl. security patching) and Wifi6.

Options
2023-11-25 11:05:30

@Sunshine OK, I bit the bullet. Installed all my 3 AX12 APs, upgraded to the beta firmware, configured all to same SSID and password, used SmartConnect to even move to same SSID across 2.4GHz and 5GHz (hadn't done this before), assigned different channels to each manually (and trying to avoid most powerful channels from neighbours), turned on WPA3, turned off the old AP stations. Everything works beautifully :-) Increased speed, no drops in speed when moving around and clients switches over to nearest AP much faster.

So beta firmware looks good to me in a uniform environment. Hope to see it in production now real soon.

Options
2023-12-19 13:48:39

@Sunshine 

hss there been an update for production or is it still beta?

Options
2023-12-23 01:27:46

@Sunshine 

I just installed the official version (build 20231127) and the issues continue:

It seems that the roaming issue is resolved, I will have to test further to prove that it works constantly, the only issue is that the roaming between main router (AX53) and access point (AX12) takes a long time.

The transfer speed between client (PC, cellphone, tablet) and AX12 is way too slow and very inconsistent even when being right by the device.

I was hoping this update would make this a very good and reliable device; it still isn't.

I'm certain that with another FW upgrade everything will be ok, the deal is when will it be available.

Options
2023-12-26 01:53:08

@cimonroyb 

Hi, does the new official firmware and previous beta firmware have the same behavior regarding the roaming time between main router and access point?

Besides, the router or access point can only provide a roaming suggestion. Whether to roam or not depends on the client itself as it has its own roaming threshold as well, which is decided by its manufacturer. In this case, clients may refuse the roaming suggestion or respond slowly causing the delay of roaming. There are also some clients that may decide to roam even though router/ap doesn't recommend roaming.

Options
2023-12-27 03:49:22
I've updated to the latest firmware, but the issues continue to persist. I have tried different configurations for my two modems, the C80 and AX12, but I've got no luck in resolving the problems. When I used the AX12 as the main router and the C80 as the AP, the network quality quickly deteriorated. The connection frequently dropped, the speed was unacceptably slow. When configuring the C80 as the main router and the AX12 as the access point, I was unable to connect to the Wi-Fi at all.
Options
2023-12-27 07:39:05

@bjzu 

Hi, you mentioned two modems, may I know the topology of your whole network?

And what is the error message when you are unable to connect the WiFi when AX12 is in AP mode?

Please make sure the AP mode is configured correctly(Case 1): How to configure the TP-Link wireless router as Access Point

Options