Adding 2 pack adapter powerline to exhisting Range Extender TL-WA850RE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-27 14:34:35
Model: TL-WPA4220 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi!

In my home network the router is in the ground floor, in a not central zone of the house, and I have a range extender upstairs. The result is very poor.

I am thinking of buying a powerline kit TL-WPA4221 AV600 and put 1 adapter near router, the other in the center ground floor and maintain the extender upstair.

Is it possible to set the extender via wifi with the powerline wifi network?

Or the extender will continue to be connected via wifi with the router and to get better results it is prefereble a 3 pack powerline kit?

Any ideas or suggestions will be much appreciated, thank you!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Adding 2 pack adapter powerline to exhisting Range Extender TL-WA850RE
2023-09-27 19:59:56 - last edited 2023-09-27 20:02:27

@RuiS 

Hi,

Do you have specific performance numbers in mind that you are looking for on the upper floor?

One major issue with Powerline adapters is (and I mean all Powerline adapters of any manufacturer) that it is nearly impossible to predict the resulting performance in advance. (i.e. before the purchase)
Under certain conditions the achievable data speeds might end up being really slow.

Another thing to consider is that Wi-Fi equipment made for stationary use is usually designed to spread its wireless signal in mostly the horizontal direction. (like in the first picture)
If the Wi-Fi equipment has adjustable antennas, then one can try to optimize the signal by adjusting the angle of the antennas. (like in the second picture)
The TL-WA850RE obviously doesn't have adjustable antennas, it could only be the tilted as a whole if the circumstances permitted.

For the range extender it makes no difference whether it connects to a Wi-Fi router or a Powerline adapter with Wi-Fi or something else that broadcasts a Wi-Fi network. (provided the devices conform to the official Wi-Fi standards)

Note that the drawings below are only a rough illustration. They are not an exact representation of how the Wi-Fi signals spread. 

Options
2023-09-28 03:52:16

@RuiS 

How about this? Just put the WPA on the second floor, and RE on the first floor, which could avoid the situation what @woozle said about the signal attenuation through the floor between the RE and Router. 

layout

Options
2023-09-28 13:53:18

@Dooooo 

My router has no antennas, so cannot make any adjustment as woozle suggested and the solution of RE upstairs and WPA downstairs, I confess it had already crossed my mind.

The problem is that prior to purchase it is impossible to make any trials, obviously. So, I think I will risk buying the TL-WPA4221 and then try both ways to see the one that gives better results.

Thank you both for your support.

Options
2023-09-28 17:51:25

@RuiS 

A paradox I think so. You won't know it before you buy it and vice versa. Although many things works like this. How about take a try. If it's not satisfying, just return, if egilible.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 317

Replies: 4

Related Articles