W7200 OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

W7200 OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
W7200 OpenVPN
W7200 OpenVPN
2023-09-27 18:41:15

I doubt someone can answer, but I'll give it a shot. Today I purchased a W7200 mesh system with the intention of setting up an OpenVPN server on it. Now that I have it up and running I see it is a Ver 1.6 and only the Ver 2 has the VPN option at this time. Since I'm new to TPLink I'm trying to understand if an update with eventually come for this one or if I should just return it and try to buy v2 elsewhere. Any ideas? 

Thanks! 

Options
3 Reply
Re:W7200 OpenVPN
2023-09-28 09:49:28

@drmoneejd 

Hi, welcome to the community.

If you just purchased Deco W7200, instead of waiting for the firmware release, I would suggest replacing it with V2 since there hasn't been an ETA of the VPN-supported firmware on V1. Or the VPN feature only needs support on the main Deco, you could consider adding a Deco X55 or XE75 into the Mesh as the main Deco so that the whole system would support VPN.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-09-28 12:25:57

@David-TP 

Thanks for your honesty here. As far as the V2 firmware, is there any way to know one from the other? For example, on Amazon or even the official TPLink eBay store neither mentioned it in the product description. Does the V2 have a different box or anything? Thanks again. 

Options
2023-09-29 23:55:28

In case anyone is curious I did end up returning the V1 system. I then went to Walmart and just asked them to unlock the cabinet and started looking at the barcodes of all of their deco systems, which shows the version numbers. The workers thought I was crazy because all the boxes look the same. But I eventually got a w6000 v2. So I lost tri band, but picked up all the features I wanted. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 358

Replies: 3

Related Articles