How to use static links with deco X50

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-03 20:03:29
Tags: #IPv6 #routing tables
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.7

Hello,

I´ḿ currenlty using the X50 system in access point mode. But when seeing that static route setting is now available for use i tried it in router mode.

In IPv4 :

• As  there's no vlan on DECOs i disconnected one X50 (out of the 4 i'm using) and made it as a single router for a segregated wifi IoT network with a static IP definition. outer link on 10.0.2.0/24, inner link on 10.0.5.0/24.
  • I converted the master X50 from access point mode to router mode and made it as a single router for a segregated wifi home lan network. outer link on 10.0.2.0/24, inner link on 10.0.4.0/24. (this configuration is a real pain as regard the waste of money ! i know...butit was only for testing)
  • i kept my own router active as single router for a wired home network : outer link 10.0.2.0/24, inner link on 10.0.3.0/24
  • i kept the ISP router on 10.0.2.0/24 as gateway.

Each unit was configured with a different IP. i'll spare you the whole list of it. and i add two coputer for which i changed the IP according to the connected network i used.

I manually configured the static routes in routing tables on all the routers, except on the ISP's which does not support that but is used as a gateway for all  other routers. All routers where configured with the same static routes tables as all the routers by definition since the invention of internet and IP shall be capable to communicate with the other routers. It is their sole purpose in life. i crosschecked this very configuration by using a second home lan router which was able to communicate with the first wired router, with the ISP's routeur and internet after the problem came up. I also crosschecked that all routing tables were identical across all routers. internal firewalls were all tuned to "pass all".

the problem with DECO X50s is that i was not able to find the option to inhibit the IPv4-NAT which is mandatory when using static routes.

• So how are we supposed to use this feature to make routers communicate and route IP with each others while keeping NAT active  with a closed firewall ?
  • So what is the purpose of the static route declaration on the Decos especially for home networks (the target of DECO systems) for which layered lans are useless ? (in the opposite, keeping head routers interconnecting lans in a star parttern is usefull at home due to its simplicity. Layered lans are for corporate use.)

But please don´t tell me that TP-link needs to have the NAT always activated for QoS, protection, firewall, etc. This cannot be an answer. The IPv6 works properly on your device and there's no NAT on IPv6 by definition (IPv6 is so simple and automated that a baby can use it!)

I also tried DHCPv6-PD which was a pleasure to use to get a dedicated /64 network on each router (my own and DECOs). But, I did not try to use static route with IPv6... because the related copy/paste on a smartphone is a piece of hell when doing it manually and as the PD can change without notice upon order from the IPS's router it makes the function of manually routing at home a higher piece of hell.

• did someone check and use the IPv6 static routing ? 
  • So, could it be possible to activate some RIPng for IPv6 on the DECO to get the routing table to buildup automatically like anything a little bit plug and play ? OSPFv6 could also be a good option to activate instead of RIPng ?
  • Could it be also possible to fill routing table automatically using RIPv4 and/or OSPFDv4 after activating the relevant options ? It will make IPv4 routing something like really plug and play... a router appears on the router network, then it could get quickly be routed and functionnal without moving a finger.

Declaring the exposure of inner computers in the firewall using IPv6 address could also be a hell, could there be a default opening over a whole network in PD ? a whole computer ? in addition to the manual port opening ? ( firewall can be supposed to be elsewere if routers are supposed to be home).

And my last question : i seems that DECOs in IPv6 can only get ONE (one)(1) IPv6 address ? if it gets the local FD00::/10 network first it is tied to traffic within home (only local traffic not routed over public network... ISP access is then unusable). if it get first the address of a public network in 2000::/3 network range, there's access to the public network, ok because this one is routed. But there's no more backup network in case of the ISP's router. failure the whole home network go down and is unusable as it stays on public network which will disappear soon. And additionnaly devices that select routing access to local devices on local networks preferably to public networks are lost. (keep in mind that there's no NAT in IPv6)

• So, I may be making mistake on this but how can we be sure that the deco can handle as many IPv6 we may want as it is supposed to do ?
  • This IPv6 feature of having as many IP we need enphases again the need of automatic routing settlement even at home. could it be possible to get this kind of options ?

Regards,

Eric.

Options