Spent a few hours setting this up and it just doesn't work.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-07 16:28:23 - last edited 2023-10-09 11:13:46
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20230601 Rel. 66771

Hi all,

I don't know if i have a V1 or V2 product.
I bought the 3 pack XE75 Pro to replace my ageing Google WIFI.
I have a 100mb Virgin Media connection in the UK, the superhub is in modem only mode.
Setup was super easy with the app, and i had all 3 units up in 20 minutes.
I am running firmware 1.2.2 Build 20230601 Rel. 66771 and this seems to be the latest version.
Within the first few minutes the download speed was great, giving me what the Virgin connection provides.
Then after a few mins the download speed dropped to under 1mb, whether i connected via WIFI or hard wired into any of the units.
Nothing that i could do to get the download speed back up, even rebooted them several times.
So i thought i should try them in access point mode and reconfigure my Virgin superhub to be a router again. For the first few minutes download speeds were good, and again after a few minutes dropped to under 1mb. Now my Virgin superhub is a router i connected to it via ethernet and the download speeds were as expected.
Curiously the upload speed seemed to be nearly what i should get (20mb).

So after messing around with this for a few hours, i am not sure what else i can do, apart from send them back to Amazon for a refund.

There do seem to be quite a few posts on here with different issues, perhaps i should have done my homework first before buying them. I never expect anything like this to be perfect, but the fact that the speed drop off between my superhub and the main unit is so bad, i can't see how this can be resolved unless some firmware upgrade is made available that can magically fix this.

On the app it seems the connections between the 3 units is good, its just the link between my Virgin Superhub and the TP-Link either acting as a router or Access points. I tried a couple of ethernet cables to rule that out.

So does anyone have any advice how i can fix this, before these go back to Amazon in a few days.

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Spent a few hours setting this up and it just doesn't work.-Solution
2023-10-08 08:23:39 - last edited 2023-10-09 11:13:46

@Mark--TP 

Hello and thanks for the replies.

I seem to have it working and it has been stable for while now.

I have connected the Virgin superhub to the 2.5GIG port and it is not slowing down now.

Not sure why i didn't try that before.

I thought maybe i had missed that part in the setup doc, but it doesn't seem to mention what port i should connect the modem into.

But checking it again this morning it is still giving me full download and upload speed from all 3 units, wireless and wired.

So i think i am all good, i will keep checking it.

Still confused why when i had it connected to a GIG port it would start off full speed and drop to under 1MB.

As for why i bought this version, why not? :) My employer gave me a £375 reward for long service and i spent it on this, hopefully will future proof my home for when i do decide to upgrade my home internet. And i love all the extra config options available compared to the Google Wifi.

But thanks for the replies over the week, much appreciated.

Mark.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Spent a few hours setting this up and it just doesn't work.
2023-10-07 19:37:22

@Mark--TP 

Check this forum topic and see if you can manually upgrade your XE75 Pro with firmware provided there: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/617382

The problem description is not exactly the same, but you have nothing to lose for trying and firmware version seem newer than what your XE75 Pro Decos have.

--------------------------

If you don't mind, general recommendations on selection of your next WiFi mesh, in case you had to return XE75 Pro. With the 100/20Mbps Internet link you have, you do not need WiFi mesh that supports WiFI6 and WiFi6E, such as XE75 Pro. You are overpaying for capabilities you can't use. WiFi6/WiFi6E mesh makes sense with internet link of gigabit and above.

I would recommend for you to get WiFi5 capable mesh. It'll cost you less, and it will work just fine for you. I would suggest to buy tri-band units, which will improve speeds you'll be getting from Satellite devices. That is applicable to any brand of WiFi mesh.

If you want to give TP-Link Deco another chance, I'll recommend 3-unit set of M9 Plus. I have those at my house, they run reliably for almost three years I have them. Main Deco can deliver up to 500-600Mbps speed, Satellites - close to 400Mbps, on gigabit Internet.

In my region, 3-unit M9 Plus set is half the price of 3-unit XE75 Pro.

Options
2023-10-08 03:30:44

@Mark--TP 

Hi, I updated the beta firmware on post 617382 yesterday. There is no need to update the firmware now since you already have the latest firmware of Deco XE75 Pro V2.

Later I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance.

Could you please help me check the following details:

1. Are you able to reproduce this issue in a short time?

2. Please refer to this link to set a different Deco as the main Deco to see whether the same issue continued:

How to Set up the Satellite Deco or a new Deco to be the Main Deco

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
Re:Spent a few hours setting this up and it just doesn't work.-Solution
2023-10-08 08:23:39 - last edited 2023-10-09 11:13:46

@Mark--TP 

Hello and thanks for the replies.

I seem to have it working and it has been stable for while now.

I have connected the Virgin superhub to the 2.5GIG port and it is not slowing down now.

Not sure why i didn't try that before.

I thought maybe i had missed that part in the setup doc, but it doesn't seem to mention what port i should connect the modem into.

But checking it again this morning it is still giving me full download and upload speed from all 3 units, wireless and wired.

So i think i am all good, i will keep checking it.

Still confused why when i had it connected to a GIG port it would start off full speed and drop to under 1MB.

As for why i bought this version, why not? :) My employer gave me a £375 reward for long service and i spent it on this, hopefully will future proof my home for when i do decide to upgrade my home internet. And i love all the extra config options available compared to the Google Wifi.

But thanks for the replies over the week, much appreciated.

Mark.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-08 11:18:22

@Mark--TP 

That's fantastic to receive such great news. laugh

I am not sure why the 1G port dropped the speed either but I will let the engineers know and check whether there will be any similar feedback later.

If you have any questions or need assistance with any of those configuration options, feel free to ask. Enjoy your upgraded home internet experience!

Best regards.

Options
2023-10-08 20:25:49

@Mark--TP 

Thank You.

At least i know i wasn't installing it incorrectly.

But all of today it is working fine, so all good.

Mark.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 548

Replies: 5

Related Articles